What's new

Gluing aluminum to plastic.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I need/want to glue a flat piece of aluminum to a flat piece of plastic, kind of like making a peanut butter sandwich. There will be some strain on it, but not a huge amt. I just want the glue for insurance. What is the best kind of "peanut butter" to use.

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
The best glue we have found is E6000. We glue plastic trims to stainless all the time.

Uncle Sam :)

pgrzes

Reaction score
How about 3M double side trim tape. Like used on a cars emblems. Holds up real well if everything is clean and dry.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I.B. Washin,

I know you are familiar with 3M VHB since if I remember right you posted about it & that is how humble me learned about it for the first time.

Is there a reason why for this situation you are steering away from the 100 lbs pull VHB? Is it only because of the overkill on the strength & possibly the extra expense?

The reason why I am asking is because we have a project where we will be using a large amount of the VHB tape ... so now could be the time to learn about the drawbacks & other considerations :confused: of the VHB.

mike

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...sCeDQpjQtw==&gclid=CP6djIndt7cCFVIV7AodxAIARA

I get it at Lowe's in a small roll. I couldn't find it on their site. It's much thinner than the usual white double-sided foam, but if thickness is critical it won't work.

I'd go with the epoxy or contact cement. The epoxy will hold better if you roughly sand both surfaces. Contact cement will be a bitch if you don't get it exactly in place the first time.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
I.B.,

Here I thought you had a photographic memory on every post that you have been even slightly part of!:) So sorreee:eek:

http://forum.autocareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-7507.html

mike
Your logic connecting this thread to that one completely eludes me.

There's also no such thing as a photographic memory. The proper term is eidetic memory.

mjwalsh said:
Any other words of wisdom about VHB tape? ... we will be attaching it to a 3 dimensional print material called PLA. I personally have very little experience with VHB at this point in time.
Did you read the thread that you linked?