What's new

Tunnel Mist Partition Wall

wood

Reaction score
I am trying to explain to a tradesmen that inside my tunnel I want to build a mist containment wall. It will contain mist between my last rinse and the dryer itself. In our set-up it will also help reduce the noise some where we greet the customer at the entrance of the building.

I was thinking of using treated wood, and put an frp "skirt" around both the floor legs and from the ceiling down to 96" clearance around the wood frame.
Does anybody have a picture or two so that he can visualize it a little better? I tried all kinds of searches to locate a pic, but have not be able to.

thanks,
wood

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Here's one with Glass Block - very cool looking. I wiould check into the relative cost before going with wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7SWJ6SGYU

I called Erie Brush and got 2 large sheets of wash cloth and hung them from the ceiling about 2 feet in front of the intakes. I don't know how it affects noise at the entrance.

washnshine

Reaction score
I know an operator who built a pressure treated wood frame, and then used these corrugated fiberglass roofing panels on each side of the 2X4's. The air space between helped with noise - more so than if he only had the material on one side . You could probably also try 2X6's to get even more of an air space/sound reduction.

You can get these in many colors, or even clear if you want to keep the tunnel lighter -

http://www.eplastics.com/6-oz-Green...=&source=pla&gclid=CP7D-tqm6L0CFY3m7AodnR8Ang

Good luck and don't forget to post a picture when you are done we can see what you came up with.

sudsurfer

Reaction score
I am trying to explain to a tradesmen that inside my tunnel I want to build a mist containment wall. It will contain mist between my last rinse and the dryer itself. In our set-up it will also help reduce the noise some where we greet the customer at the entrance of the building.

I was thinking of using treated wood, and put an frp "skirt" around both the floor legs and from the ceiling down to 96" clearance around the wood frame.
Does anybody have a picture or two so that he can visualize it a little better? I tried all kinds of searches to locate a pic, but have not be able to.

thanks,
wood
Did you ever get this done? We are wanting to build a mist wall also, and are looking for ideas. How far from drier inlets should the wall be. We have a tall (16 foot ceiling) Should wall go that high. Thanks.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Before you build a mist containment wall (drying chamber), it might be a good idea to consider if the design will actually solve the problem.

There are basically three ways to reduce noise from air producer – install the OEM’s environmental noise dampener system, install air blade style dryer system (and reduced HP) or install an automatic door (or sliding curtain) to separate wet from dry area.

Noise from typical air producer will not be effectively dampened unless there is a continuous wall about 8’ high.

That’s not possible in tunnel without a moveable door or heavy, dense curtains.

If there is even the slightest opening, noise barrier will be greatly compromised.

Excessive mist in gong concern wash (where it impedes drying) implies poor tunnel design.

This may include poor ventilation (no louvers or ceiling fans), placing high pressure applications too close to rinse/wax section, placing rinse too close to drying section, too much rinse pressure (or fan spray instead of rain bar), prevailing wind issue, etc.

In other words, I’ve seen people put drying chamber in and it didn’t work very well at all.

OEM’s (Protovest, Sonny’s, etc.) understand the need to pin point root cause of problem so the solution provides the desired effect.

sudsurfer

Reaction score
Before you build a mist containment wall (drying chamber), it might be a good idea to consider if the design will actually solve the problem.

There are basically three ways to reduce noise from air producer – install the OEM’s environmental noise dampener system, install air blade style dryer system (and reduced HP) or install an automatic door (or sliding curtain) to separate wet from dry area.

Noise from typical air producer will not be effectively dampened unless there is a continuous wall about 8’ high.

That’s not possible in tunnel without a moveable door or heavy, dense curtains.

If there is even the slightest opening, noise barrier will be greatly compromised.

Excessive mist in gong concern wash (where it impedes drying) implies poor tunnel design.

This may include poor ventilation (no louvers or ceiling fans), placing high pressure applications too close to rinse/wax section, placing rinse too close to drying section, too much rinse pressure (or fan spray instead of rain bar), prevailing wind issue, etc.

In other words, I’ve seen people put drying chamber in and it didn’t work very well at all.

OEM’s (Protovest, Sonny’s, etc.) understand the need to pin point root cause of problem so the solution provides the desired effect.
Robert, thank you for your input. To address your points: Noise is not a factor at all. We have excessive mist for a lot of the reasons you state. Poorly designed, probably, but can't change that now. We have no ventilation, our medium pressure rinse is after wraps, before mitters. Drying agent, R/O right after mitters. 25-30 feet till dryers. Huge vacuum creating mist, possible imparting it back on cars. Have the ability to inexpensively build wall to try. How close to dryer nozzles should wall be?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since you have sufficient drip space, someone needs to be on site to try and figure it out.

Why build something if it doesn’t have a chance to work. I’m not use to solving problems in this manner.

That’s why I suggested consulting with experts.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There is an operation west of Chicago which I believe is a Sonny's equipped tunnel and inside the tunnel, before the blowers there is an airlift type door. I guess there is some effectiveness, but since the door remains open for the length of the car i can't help but wonder how effective it is.