What's new

T 5 fluorescent bay lighting

hsb

Reaction score
I have metal halide and want to upgrade. I have been told to get two bulb t 5 two per bay. I don't know what wattage to buy. Advice? Also for those of you who have Ameren Illinois utilities, the rebate money is refreshed in June so rebates will be updated and available until exhausted.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're planning on just four bulbs per bay, I'd go with HO.

soapy

Reaction score
Get the 54 watt HO ballasts. Since they are electronic you can use a lower watt bulb in them if you decide. Try to get 5000 to 6000 K on the color.

gearhead

Reaction score
Replaced my MH with three, 4 foot 2 bulb t5 HO fixtures per bay from Smart Lighting Solutions. I am very pleased with the light output. At night one stays on continuously and the other two are on a motion sensor.

Etowah

pgrzes

Reaction score
Why not try out some 85 Watt CFL Bulbs in the fixtures you have? I just did a few of my bays and am very happy with the lighting. No more ballasts to deal with. Slight modifications to the reflectors and mogul adapters. Bought my bulbs at 1000bulbs.com.
If you want to go with the t5 Ho's check with KB Lighting out of Philadelphia Pa. around $70 for 4' vaportight fixtures with bulbs.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I have bought over a hundred 4 foot 2 bulb t5 HO fixtures from Smart Lighting Solutions in the last 18 months, 4 per bay and 2 of those on a motion sensor. Very happy with the T5's and Smart Lighting Solutions. I have also retrofitted with the cfl's and that was a quick cheap fix.. It seems like either one is an improvement over Metal Halide. Eventually LED's will be the light of choice but I'm not sure the cost/performance is there yet.

I got my info on the CFL's and T5's from the forum so thank you to those who shared their experience.

Doug P.

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
I purchased the T5 fluorescent when they first came out. Found the ballast only lasted about 2 years. First batch Kleen Rite did not stock the ballast. I did find them on the internet. However, I have found with the second batch the plastic parts holding the bulbs in place will break when changing. I would consider going with the 4 foot LED fixture that Kleen Rite now sells. It is about the same price and it puts out more light than the 8 foot fluorescent fixture with 4 each 4 foot T5 bulbs. LED is suppose to last way longer and I am tired of changing ballast on Metal Halides and Fluorescent.

hsb

Reaction score
I am rewriting the wall parks to accept the standard base cfl bulbs. Found the 100 watt bulbs in Decatur Illinois for $.83/bulb, priced by Ameren electric company. Putting three bulbs in each fixture. The ceramic bases are $2.07 each. Less than $10. Per walpak. Also painting walpaks. Adding motion detectors to half of the bulbs in each bay. Thanks for advice.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Found the 100 watt bulbs in Decatur Illinois for $.83/bulb, priced by Ameren electric company. Putting three bulbs in each fixture. .
So you re burning 300w Per fixture - How many fixtures per bay?

hsb

Reaction score
Four fixtures per bay. Two per timer. Current 250 watt metal halide. Bought 250 watt bulbs from 1000bulbs at $16/bulb then stopped at SAMs and found these 100 watt bulbs for .85 each in packs of six. Installing three per pack. May drill some vents to help with heat. I think this will work and will benefit with some light should one bulb die. What do you think?

hsb

Reaction score
They fit in all but two fixtures. Two fixtures are very old and much smaller than the other 20. The bulbs are only slightly larger than an incandescent bulb of same wattage. I'm more worried about heat buildup o
And cold weather startup.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm guessing you are talking about the 23W CFLs then (100W incandescent equivalent). I think MEP tried something along those lines and the result wasn't very good.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried four 26W ones from Sam's in a Scottsdale, and the light was pretty weak. Later I tried four 42W in one - it was satisfactorily bright, but the bulbs all failed from the heat.

Randy

Reaction score
I think you’re going to disappointed and you’re wasting your time with 3 23 watt 100 watt incandescent equivalent bulbs. Buy the 105 watt bulb from 1000 bulbs and be done with it. This is the one you want https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/8257/FC105-S50MOGOD.html this bulb has worked fine for a number Forum members for years. DON’T drill holes in your fixtures to let the heat out, the holes will let the bugs into the fixture.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything Randy said...I've done this to several fixtures in the past few years and have been happy with the results.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I went with the 85w cfl's "FC85-S50OD" from 1000bulbs.com. I have 2 in each bay and have been very happy. Its only been about 8 months with them but I have not had any issues with any. Interested to see how they are in the single digit temps. I installed a few in late winter was fine, but didnt have them in yet for the real cold.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I started a thread back in March 2011 about the CFL conversions. I've only had to replace 2 of the 85w CFLs since then. I've had good luck with them.

http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?6668-In-Bay-and-Vac-Station-Lights&highlight=HALIDES

If I were to do it different, I'd use T5HO 4' 2 bulb fixtures and put in motion sensors. Keep one fixture on for security...I have a 4' (2) bulb (Smart Lighting Solutions) Water tight fixture above my changer. Puts out lots of light. I've had it installed over three years and haven't had to change a bulb or ballast yet...

gearhead

Reaction score
light conversions

If I were to do it different said:
I did this same exact thing and had the same exact results. Couldn't be happier. I plan on doing something similar with my Vac islands but with different fixtures.