What's new

Pick Up, Wash, Deliver Customers' Vehicle?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I'm thinking about finding me a responsible licensed teen with a drivers license in this small town of 2200, to pick up the customer's car, wash, and return it. Is this a bad idea?

I figure I'd charge $25 for a SS wash including triple foam and wax. $5 more for vac'ing interior, etc. Figure I would pay the guy $10 and $3 of that - he makes $20/hr and I get $15-$17 for a wash when that customer usually pays me only $10 to wash and vac himself.

Thoughts?

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Red Baron, I do like the concept, however I would be concerned about the liability issue if this teen was involved in a accident with a customers vehicle. Just something to think about.

jfmoran

Reaction score
I'm thinking about finding me a responsible licensed teen with a drivers license in this small town of 2200, to pick up the customer's car, wash, and return it. Is this a bad idea?

Say this out loud to yourself several times, until you come to the self realization that this is a bad idea. :eek:

"I'm thinking about finding me a responsible licensed teen with a drivers license"... This line just kills me:D

If you still want to go through with it, think about going to the other end of the age spectrum and find yourself a nice responsible licensed retired guy.

Red Baron

Reaction score
"I'm thinking about finding me a responsible licensed teen with a drivers license"... This line just kills me:D
Lol

Fair enough, but I have 2 or 3 teens in this town who I would trust with keys to my front door. One is the son of my partner on the gym/coffee shop -- his mom wrote this book after spending 5 years in Saudi Arabia teaching the Saudis how to farm: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Sands-Y...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206579086&sr=8-6
Anyway, these are unusually straight-laced kids, but your point is well taken and one I've considered.

Also, a retired person might be better because when school starts again...

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
If you do it you'll need "garage keepers" insurance. If you have it already you might have to increase your amounts of insurance and I would also carry an umbrella insurance policy.
Think twice about the whole idea.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
If you do it you'll need "garage keepers" insurance. If you have it already you might have to increase your amounts of insurance and I would also carry an umbrella insurance policy.
Think twice about the whole idea.
I have a contract with a local company to pick up and wash their trucks. I use "Mature Drivers" and have had 1 accident in the 20 years we have been doing this. I have a garage keepers policy that covers Vehicle damages up to 100k and an umbrella for 2 million.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Everythings about timing. I have a detail shop thats been leasing from me for 25 yrs.
Had only 1 accident until 2006 when his guys had 5. Insurance covered 3 then dropped him.
All I'm saying is you better be prepared.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
When I just turned 16, a friend and I decided to wash cars, so we went door to door and then taking them to his house to wash and or wax them. Before we took them back we would take them out into the country and see how fast they would go. Lucky we never had a wreak, but we were mature, but pretty dumb.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
How about looking for an off duty cop to do the driving and cleaning? They are usually open to looking for another paycheck. As a customer, would you be more apt to hand over your keys to a teenager or a cop?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think this is a super idea because I do it on a regular basis. My FS detail and IBA/SS car wash rely on service like this. The extra jobs we get from providing this valuable and in-demand service are well-worth the insurance costs and other glitches. I have always employed teens and have only had a couple minor problems in 13+ years. FYI, there has been only 1 major accident at my shop in all the years in business: MY FAULT!

Skip the stereotypes about teen drivers. I've now got 2 teens working for me that drive better and are more responsible than many 'retirees' I know.

Having personally declared 2008 'the year of the customer' at my wash, I cannot imagine doing without pickup and deliveries of 'wash vac and windows' jobs. You'll find yourself with many loyal, regular, repeat customers if you do this right. I get between $39 and $59 for this service and include a litterbag, paper floor mat and scent. My customers love it.:)

jprb

Reaction score
There is a younger guy in town that uses my wash to wash and vac peoples cars and then takes it home to dry and detail in his carport. He seems to keep as busy as he wants, so it might be a good service to offer directly from the wash.

JPRB

Red Baron

Reaction score
Midlothian Ins isn't sure they like the idea. Said I might need a separate policy. That will nix the idea as I don't think the additional revenue justifies the hassle.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you should keep exploring this idea. If I nixed every plan of mine based on the opinion of my insurance company, I woud just go home, pull the covers over my head and weep softly.:D

Shop around, ask around, get creative. I'm sure there's a way to do this. Perhaps open yourself up to the idea of doing extra services such as express polish or interior express as a way to justify an added insurance expense. Evaluate the detailing/car washing competition in your market area and determine the need. In a small town like yours, reputation and word of mouth go a long way toward building customer loyalty, so work on those from the beginning. Also, establish a price point that allows for a nice profit right away. Go for it!

Etowah

Red Baron

Reaction score
One alternative might be to advertise our car wash as a way for licensed school kids, who're out for summer, to make some money by washing cars for their family/friends/neighbors. I could agree to advertise their services, prices, names and phone numbers in the newspaper and website, in exchange for them doing all the washing at my wash. The plus side is this "might" get me around the insurance issue, and the minus is it would only increase my business marginally as I would only get the money they put in my equipment.

My guess is that this would be a gray area in terms of liability.

Route66CarWash

Owner/Manager
Reaction score
I have provided a fleet of cars and have car allowances for key personel for the past 8 or so years.......but, I am in the process of eliminating all of the company cars ad replacing with car allowances to remove them from my insurance policy.

It sounds like a good idea.....but you better do your homework regarding liability. The first time a "driver" has a serious accident....you better have the "right" insurance.

Do yourself a favor and talk to a "good" attorney regarding your liability with a juncture like this and make sure your insurance agent fully understands what it is you'll be doing so you are properly insured.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good points. In my opinion, a proper insurance policy that covers an employee driving customers' cars should not be a factor which negates the profit potential of this great idea/service. Remember, you'll build business when you pickup and deliver. Pizza shops do it. Dealerships do it. Heck, even some mechanics do it. My detail shop and car wash have always picked up cars. I wouldn't do it any other way. I also regularly drive customers' cars thru the IBA while they wait in the detail shop waiting area; usually it's older folks and women who request this. I love offering this high level of service and I know that I'm creating loyal customers this way. They tell me so! By all means look into the insurance costs as a means to protect yourself, but don't be discouraged by insurance expense. It's merely a cost of doing business. You're looking to grow your business here and that comes with associated costs!

Also, operators should have their companies legally structured as corporations in order to protect themselves.

buda

Reaction score
Pickup and delivery with a detail shop is fine because the revenue is there to justify the service. However for a car wash it is my personal opinion the return is not worth the exposure.

As they say, "if an accident can happen, it will."

If you persist with the idea I would, without a doubt, hire a retired person to drive. Why, evidence.

I have two cousins in their early 70's and one friend also in his early 70's, all retired who drive cars for some of the car rental agencies in the area. They drive from Portland to Seattle to pick up and deliver cars (168 miles); to the Oregon coast (100 miles) to Eastern Oregon (as far as 200 miles).

It appears this is working for the car rental agencies with these older people. They have been at it for several years since their retirement and as far as I know they have not received a ticket nor been in an accident.

Your insurance on these people would be much less too.

I just got insurance for an overseas friend of mine's 18 year old son who is attending Oregon State. For 6 months the insurance is $2700. That charge is for a reason.

Just some well intentioned thoughts on the subject.

Regards
Bud Abraham