What's new

How do you have your foam brush connected ?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Looking for possible more reliable and/or simple ways to connect to my FB. Right now I have my foam brush stored vertically and set up as follows:

Foam Brush > 3/8" Brass swivel (below) > 45* street brass elbow > 3/8" Swivel Barb (below) > 3/8" clear vinyl tubing.

I use a SS hose clamp on the barb coved by a black PVC hose guard that I heat and then FORCE over to cover the clamp.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1543-kleen-rite-straight-swivels-38mxf-brass-3000-psi.aspx
https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-25661-38m-x-38-barb-swivel.aspx

At the boom I have swivel barbs. Not sure if Im over doing it with the barbs? All these swivels seem to fail at such a quick rate I was hoping to find a better setup.

Eric H

Reaction score
I just use a 3/8" high pressure hose with hose guard and a 3/8" swivel (swv38SS or swv38). they seem to last a long time without any issues. I have never liked the look and feel of the hoses that you described.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I just use a 3/8" high pressure hose with hose guard and a 3/8" swivel (swv38SS or swv38). they seem to last a long time without any issues. I have never liked the look and feel of the hoses that you described.
The only thing I like about the clear vinyl is that I can make sure the system is weeping and isn't frozen. I hate how hard it gets in the cold and how it bangs against the cars.

Do you have the swivel at both the FB and boom or just FB?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm surprised you're having a high failure rate with a high-pressure swivel at the handle.

I like the Spraying Systems breakaway swivel - they swivel smooth, last 2 to 4 years and I've never had one break. I only put one at the handle, no swivel at the boom.

I've been using Insta-Grip hose with push-lock barbs, cleaner looking than using a clamp and the hose lasts several years. I usually have to replace the guard at least once before the hose need to be replaced.

IMO you don't need a 45° el at the handle unless the brush hangs horizontal.

Randy

Reaction score
We hang our foam brush handle horizontal on the wall. From the foam brush handle we use a 3/8” swivel (KR #SW7080) a 3/8” street 90 (KR #BFA116-6). We use a 3/8” Polybraid hose (KR #HPB06X) and crimp the hose onto the 3/8” hose barb (KR #BFA29-66) with a brass ferrule (KR #HFF7327). We crimp the ferrule with a Milton crimping tool https://www.amazon.com/Milton-1626-...id=1516916236&sr=8-1&keywords=hose+crimp+tool Over the crimp we put a 3/8” hose bend restrictor (KR #HF0800) on top we use another 3/8” hose barb (KR #BFA29-66) and another 3/8” swivel (KR #SW7080). With the hose 90’d down it takes almost all of the strain off the fittings and the hose so it lasts a lot longer.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

What is (if any) the advantage to having the brush horizontal vs vertical? Mine are vertical and sit in a small "bucket" which is plumbed into my pits

Overachiever

Reaction score
What is (if any) the advantage to having the brush horizontal vs vertical?
I've been thinking about switching to vertical because in a cold climate with horizontal weeping brushes I sometimes arrive to the wash with big icicles hanging from my brushes depending on how the previous customer hung it.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I only have them hanging horizontal because I don't have weep water going into a drain- it just runs across the floor and into the pit. Being horizontal I have the swivel>ell>swivel setup so that the hose hangs vertical and seems to last long with gravity forcing it to kink.

slash007

Reaction score
I had to replace 2 more of the Fluid Control swivels this week due to leaking. Maybe I just forgot and it feels like it hasn't been that long, but I've had to replace a bunch lately. I'm thinking of engraving the date on the swivel so I'm sure.

Randy

Reaction score

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have the 2000psi fluid control swivels on my HP hoses down about 12" from the boom so there is no side tork...Been on there for at least 5-6 years and haven't had the first issue with any of them. The rebuild kit is $13.00! WOW, almost as high as the swivel....Might be able to order the rebuild kit and find the right size orings to replace? Just a thought...

slash007

Reaction score
I did buy one rebuild kit and put it in last week. I used the rebuilt swivel yesterday and it still leaked. Rebuilding was super easy, just a teflon ring and an o ring along with the center piece that probably didn't need changing anyway, but pointless if it doesn't work. At that price, it's easier to just replace the whole swivel anyway. I did try some of the KR ones in the link Randy put, but can't remember if I liked them. I found 3 used ones in the drawer that I probably need to throw away.

slash007

Reaction score
They are very similar, I guess the KR one just doesn't have the sticker on it and I noticed that under the male threads there is a little more space on the KR version when put side by side. Otherwise the same. They do share the same part/model # as you pointed out.

KTM300

Reaction score
Are you guys sure the swivels are made by the original manufacturer and not a Chinese knock-off?

MEP001

Reaction score
According to JE Adams they aren't a knock-off.