What's new

impulse or destination?

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
as a manager the last ten years, and as a future owner of a carwash, ive often pondered the following: is a car wash an impulse buy or a destination, the majority of the time. ive long believed the former, but ive started swinging towards the latter. the first express i managed had huge frontage, tons of traffic, and fairly easy access, as well as superior signage. now at our second location, mainly due to city restrictions, we dont have any of the previous except a nice high traffic count. our signage is severely limited by ordinance, and its tricky to get in and out of the place. thus far, one year in at the new location, we are a hair ahead of the numbers the first wash produced in its first year. and so ive come to believe we are a destination, wherein people are saying, "hey lets go to the carwash" rather than "hey, a carwash, i think ill stop in." any thoughts?

Rudy

Reaction score
Years ago, I remember my equipment supplier saying that most of the business comes from a 3 mile radius. I think this is probably true. A lot of people are may feel afraid of getting in line...only to find out that a wash costs huge $$$$. People like to have a rough idea ahead of time what something is going to cost.

Our business is brisk, but I make sure to put our prices on the reader board from time to time.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Destination Location

Good question.

There is ample research that supports the following:

Although the consumer's emotional urge to have the car washed may be impulsive, the actual purchasing decision as to where to have the car washed is typically a planned location or choice of approved locations.

Most, but not all, consumers have predetermined carwash choices or options, and definitely have carwash locations that are consciously avoided.

For those consumers who do not have a predetermined choice, their selection process relies heavily on initial appearance: Housekeeping, cleanliness, image projected by the signage and landscaping, conduct and attire of visible staff, and visual condition of the facility. Essentially the drive-by curb appeal.

Even when coupon inducements offer significant savings, if the "eye appeal" is lacking, the consumer will likely seek a more comfortable choice.

Most savvy carwash operators recognize the absolute importance of "image", and the residual importance of word-of-mouth advertising. It is understood that successful carwashes need to be regarded as DESTINATION LOCATIONS. That is achieved by exceptional customer service, good perceived value in pricing, and a safe, convenient customer experience.

It's important to remember the old adage:
YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE... TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION.;)

-Steve

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Impulse. 1 of ours is on a very busy street w a side street to down the side also and 1 is on a side street of another very busy street. The first keeps the second in business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I work very hard at making my carwash and detailing shop a destination and then view the impulse buyers as the gravy.

I do this at both businesses by conveying a positive and enthusiastic attitude about what we do accomplish within the scope of washing, waxing and detailing.

Things like appearance count big time and so do the functions of the carwash equipment; everything needs to work at all times and dispense plenty of product.

Area where I plan improvements asap; employee uniforms!!!