What's new

Stainess Tank Weld Leaking

Red Baron

Reaction score
My presoak tank is leaking around the weld where the heater electrode goes through. Before I cobble together a temporary repair with JB Weld and crossed fingers to get me through the weekend, anyone have any tips?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
In my area I had a guy come out with a truck mounted welder, run by a diesel generator, he ran the cables in the wash and was done in 15min. Call around and If you can't find any guys that do that. Most companies that put business signs up have those kind of welders.
John

Red Baron

Reaction score
In my area I had a guy come out with a truck mounted welder, run by a diesel generator, he ran the cables in the wash and was done in 15min. Call around and If you can't find any guys that do that. Most companies that put business signs up have those kind of welders.
John
I'm guessing it would need to be gas welded given that it's stainless and is in a delicate area right near a threaded fitting where the electrode goes through. Which may be academic now, since I've slathered it down with 5 minute epoxy and screwed in the electrode with an over-sized rubber washer.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
If you're having a good weekend and need a really fast repair, I would use jb weld like you did. Then during a slow week I'd grind it off and weld it.

I've welded stainless with a wire feed welder before, it worked. Admittedly I'm not a pro and yes I think gas welded would be better, but its not structural so Id rather not pay a pro almost as much as it might cost to buy a new tank.

MEP001

Reaction score
It takes a good welder to fix a stainless bulkhead in a tank. The most cost-effective way to get it fixed right would be to wait for a rainy day and take the tank to someone who can do TIG welding, unless you can find someone local with the proper rig who won't charge a fortune.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Last time I took something like that to my welder who does aluminum and stainless, he welded the stainless steel and put a new bead on it. He charged $10. Of course, I had to take it in to him. He does have a trailer with a diesel generator and a couple of welding setup for onsite, but I think he charges more for that.

larrys

Reaction score
You can weld stainless steel, however, there are many different kinds of stainless steel. Therefore, the correct filler metal must match the chemical analysis of the parent metal. It is best to have it TIG welded by a pro and avoid damaging the tank.