What's new

Hamilton Hopper Question

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I've had some trouble with my Hamilton Hopper this week. It would overpay and underpay and was showing codes on the Hamilton XE Validator and Controller.
Validator= lower segment of a '1' and a decimal
Controller= '4' pause '3'

After checking various pieces (including the coin counter switch), I traced the problem back to quarters being stuck behind the coin wheel. I fixed and adusted it and it is working fine for the moment.

My questions are...
-What causes quarters to become lodged behind the coin wheel?
-Once it is cleared is it likely to happen again?
-Is this problem more likely to occur with more quarters in the hopper? When I began having trouble there was $700+ in quarters in the hopper, which is more than usual.​

Randy

Reaction score
You?ve got two problems. It probably wouldn?t hurt to put in a new payout switch or at least have one on hand. It?s part #11-0008 they are about $35 or so. The quarters under the wheel is a major problem. This is extremely hard on the motor and will ruin the motor transfer case if left unrepaired. It binds up and puts stress on the motor transfer case. The problem is you?ve got to much clearance between the wheel and the motor mounting plate. This is cause by excessive end play on the motor transfer case shaft. You only want to have about .010 of clearance between the wheel and the motor mounting plate. You need to loosen the hub from the motor shaft and reset the hub. You need a long 3/32? Allen wrench to do this. The wheel might also be bent.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Randy.

I'm going to have the hopper serviced this week. Are there any other parts on the hopper that are subject to wear? I have a feeling that the previous owner did not do much preventitive maintenance.

Randy

Reaction score
The Hopper Bowl Assembly will wear a groove at the bottom of the bowl. When this happens you?ll get jamming issues. The wear groove at the bottom of the bowl looks almost like it was made that way.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
The Hopper Bowl Assembly will wear a groove at the bottom of the bowl. When this happens you?ll get jamming issues. The wear groove at the bottom of the bowl looks almost like it was made that way.
When the hopper bowl gets the grove worn in it , is the only fix a new hopper bowl?

MEP001

Reaction score
robtl said:
When the hopper bowl gets the grove worn in it , is the only fix a new hopper bowl?
In theory you could machine the hopper bowl and inlay a strip of stainless steel to bring it up level and not have to replace it again, but I doubt it would be cost-effective compared to just replacing the bowl. One of our hoppers just rolled the counter over and has never needed any service other than a replacement payout switch. I've replaced many hopper bowls, and it's not even a difficult job.

Randy

Reaction score
About the only thing you can do is replace the Hopper Bowl when it gets a groove cut in it. I?ve seen some Rube Goldberg fixes that end up costing the operator more than a Hopper bowl in the long run. If you need to replace the Hopper bowl you want part #11-0017A the list price is $57.61. The hardest part of replacing the Hopper Bowl is setting the Payout switch.