What's new

Tankless water heater for SS soaps?

AdamA

Reaction score
I have a 3/1, that I converted from a 4 bay SS. I kept the floor heat boiler, but removed the boiler for hot soap/wax. (No room). The old system circulated hot water between stainless tanks, pretty expensive since they aren't insulated.

I was wondering if there is an on demand heater with 'multiple inputs' so to speak, so I can heat the HP soap and wax? That way I wouldn't be holding holding hot water. Other option is to use two heaters, one for each product, I guess.

Ideas?

I have easy gas connections.

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
A single Paloma PH-28 will be enough for a 3-bay SS if you use it with a tempering valve. I did it with a 4-bay, keeps up well even with lousy water pressure.

AdamA

Reaction score
Calrification to question

Thanks MEP0001,

The challenge is I want to heat the soap and wax, after they are mixed, rather than heat the water before it goes into the tank. So I need two pipes through the heater, or two heaters.

I could heat the water before it goes into the mix tank, but then have it cooling unless I recirculate it.

Thanks anyone for suggestions!

Adam

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think the inter workings of any On demand hot water heater would stand up very long if you ran Soap or Wax through it for any length of time. If you want to heat your Soap/Wax tank and keep it hot you could use a Rheem commercial immersion type water heater.

MEP001

Reaction score
Typically the soap and wax aren't heated at all, they mix with hot water as it's drawn into the pump. Does your system have only two tanks that feed the pump (Soap and wax that are heated) and not three tanks (Soap, wax and hot water)? I don't mean any offense, but it sounds like you don't fully understand how a typical setup works, or you just have a very unusual and inefficient system.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Typically the soap and wax aren't heated at all, they mix with hot water as it's drawn into the pump. Does your system have only two tanks that feed the pump (Soap and wax that are heated) and not three tanks (Soap, wax and hot water)? I don't mean any offense, but it sounds like you don't fully understand how a typical setup works, or you just have a very unusual and inefficient system.
FWIW I have a D&S System.

HP soap is mixed thru a hydrominfder and into a tank. It is then diluted as it mixes with water from the "Rinse Tank" which is supplied with a floart valve. If HP soap is not called for the Solenoid to that tank does not open and the Rinse water draws straight from that tank. Wax is also mixed thru a hydeominder and is then pumped direct with a flo jet. Rinse, Soap and Wax are in a 3 compartment tank, and Foam Brush, Pre Soak and Tire cleaner are in another 3 compartment tank. So, if you want any product to be hot / warm the mixture(S) in the tank needs to be hot / warm.

I guess that if I wanted to be more efficient, I could insulate the tansk with rigid foam insulation. Immersion heaters would be another option, but I don't think I would use them solely, perhaps thermostaticaly controlled so that when there is a lot of tiem where it is unused, the product would stay warm, but when the use is high enough, the water heater supoplying the tanks would do the job.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
As a side note the water to the tanks is supplied with a hot and cold water line "T"d together so that depending on the outside temp., I can use more or less hot water.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
HP soap is mixed thru a hydrominfder and into a tank. It is then diluted as it mixes with water from the "Rinse Tank" which is supplied with a floart valve. If HP soap is not called for the Solenoid to that tank does not open and the Rinse water draws straight from that tank.
Are you sure? I'm familiar with D&S self-serve equipment. There are usually separate rinse solenoids that supply the pumps with cold water when that is selected. The only time the pump draws from the tank labeled "Rinse Tank" is when soap or wax is selected(or in your case only soap since by your description wax is applied low-pressure). This is why I interjected here, because that label of "Rinse Tank" is very misleading and causes false assumptions with many people. It should always be labeled "Hot Water" if that's what it contains.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Are you sure? I'm familiar with D&S self-serve equipment. There are usually separate rinse solenoids that supply the pumps with cold water when that is selected. The only time the pump draws from the tank labeled "Rinse Tank" is when soap or wax is selected(or in your case only soap since by your description wax is applied low-pressure). This is why I interjected here, because that label of "Rinse Tank" is very misleading and causes false assumptions with many people. It should always be labeled "Hot Water" if that's what it contains.
This equip is circa 1990. The rinse tank is supplied with water - Hot and cold lines T'd together so I can vary the temp. Each pump is supplied from this tank when rinse is chosen. Each pump has an injector connected to the soap tank with a seprate line and solenoid valve for each bay at the tank. When Soap is chosen the solenoid opens allowing soap to be drawn from the soap tank thru the injector supplied by the rinse water.