What's new

On demand water heater for floor heat

sparkey

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use an on-demand water for floor heat? If so how did it work? It would be nice to get away from a boiler inspection every year and go to something more efficient.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Most tank-less water heaters are not high efficiency and not made for space heating.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are some boilers and on-demand systems that are up to 98% efficient. Typical on-demand units are not more efficient than a boiler and are circulated in the same manner so won't save you much on your gas bill.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I am waiting for a quote on one right now. I think it's called a Navien? The model for use in floor heat systems is called the Combi. That's all the information I can provide thus far.

Lighthouse.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I had a tankless floor heat system for 20 years and its still there and working.

dogwasher

Reaction score
There very nice and very efficient, There very expensive...get ready

dogwasher

Reaction score
There very nice and very efficient, There very expensive...get ready

The tank less water heaters work great for your car washing water. The quote your getting is also for a tank less water heater but is a "boiler" much higher capacity, very efficient and depending on the size of your slab you may be getting a quote for two of them.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I had a tankless floor heat system for 20 years and its still there and working.
Bill,
I saw in a couple posts that you were pleased with your on demand floor heat. Any chance I can get more information or maybe a drawing with some specs. I just inspected my 22 year old Jarco boiler and it looks like it is ready to go kaput. I think I might take my other Raypak that is used for hot water in my SS and convert it over to floor heat, then put on demand heaters for my SS. I want to know all my options before I decide which way to go.
Thanks,
Buzzie

Turbo

Reaction score
Bill,
I saw in a couple posts that you were pleased with your on demand floor heat. Any chance I can get more information or maybe a drawing with some specs. I just inspected my 22 year old Jarco boiler and it looks like it is ready to go kaput. I think I might take my other Raypak that is used for hot water in my SS and convert it over to floor heat, then put on demand heaters for my SS. I want to know all my options before I decide which way to go.
Thanks,
Buzzie

I bought one eternal GU195 (199k input btu) this summer for $3500 installed. 98% efficient tankless condensing boiler. It provides 110 degree water for my selfserv and presoak for automatic with no issues. Mounted on wall 10 feet high. My wash is not busy but even at the peaks (all 3 self servs and auto working) it keeps up. If all 3 self servs were rinsing for 10 minutes I dont know if it would keep up but that doesnt happen frequently enough/at all for me to worry about.

This unit replaced my 20 year old 700k btu raypak boiler that was 80% efficient when it was new, the 80 gallon tank , recirc pump, etc.

It is a little difficut for me to calculate savings due to estimated bills from gas company but my gut tells me it has to be a winner.

I hope this helps somebody.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I bought one eternal GU195 (199k input btu) this summer for $3500 installed. 98% efficient tankless condensing boiler. It provides 110 degree water for my selfserv and presoak for automatic with no issues. Mounted on wall 10 feet high. My wash is not busy but even at the peaks (all 3 self servs and auto working) it keeps up. If all 3 self servs were rinsing for 10 minutes I dont know if it would keep up but that doesnt happen frequently enough/at all for me to worry about.

This unit replaced my 20 year old 700k btu raypak boiler that was 80% efficient when it was new, the 80 gallon tank , recirc pump, etc.

It is a little difficut for me to calculate savings due to estimated bills from gas company but my gut tells me it has to be a winner.

I am glad you posted this. The etrnal is an innovative unit.

Do you do the annual service?

See: http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/forum3/1300-2.html

"""Your warranty does not cover any failures or operating difficulties due to accident, abuse, misuse, alteration,
misapplication, vandalism, improper installation, maintenance or service, as set out in your operator's manual.

On page 47 of the manual is your "Required" service.

http://eternalwaterheater.com/pdf/downloads/ECH OM 6-17-10.pdf

You are going to need to add the cost of this service in yearly to your price. My cost would be upwards of 200.00 -300.00 to do this. If you don't do this and obtain proof your going to void your warranty.

"

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score

How are you feeding the hot water to the bays? Does it fill a small tank via a float valve in which the bays pull from?

Turbo

Reaction score
How are you feeding the hot water to the bays? Does it fill a small tank via a float valve in which the bays pull from?
yes. The unit is directly above my self serv rinse tank. and feeds directly into it. It also feeds the presoak tank for my automatic whih is across the room. The presoak tank also has a electic probe heater to keep the presaok warm.

today was a pretty busy day and I was only able to check it for a couple minutes. It did NOT keep up. The water was, however, WARM ENOUGH to keep me from buying another one to guarantee hot water.

Turbo

Reaction score
I am glad you posted this. The etrnal is an innovative unit.

Do you do the annual service?

See: http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/forum3/1300-2.html

"""Your warranty does not cover any failures or operating difficulties due to accident, abuse, misuse, alteration,
misapplication, vandalism, improper installation, maintenance or service, as set out in your operator's manual.

On page 47 of the manual is your "Required" service.

http://eternalwaterheater.com/pdf/downloads/ECH OM 6-17-10.pdf

You are going to need to add the cost of this service in yearly to your price. My cost would be upwards of 200.00 -300.00 to do this. If you don't do this and obtain proof your going to void your warranty.

"
I just bought it so I have not had to face that yet AND I had no idea I had to. I will ask the installer: IMPERIAL TANKLESS in Chicago area and get the answer in writing.

I read the links you provided. It says maintenance "should" (not must) be performed annually by a certified and trained technician. But part of the maintenance is to service the burner and "only specialy trained and authorized personel are permitted to service the burner".

I'll ask IMPERIAL.

Randy

Reaction score
I have one Junker (pronounced “Yonker”) on demand water heater per bay. They are 29 years old and still work fine. They have required very little maintenance in those 29 years. Each pumping unit is fed with city water pressure for both Hot and Cold water. Junker was bought out by Bosch a number of years ago.

Turbo

Reaction score
I have one Junker (pronounced “Yonker”) on demand water heater per bay. They are 29 years old and still work fine. They have required very little maintenance in those 29 years. Each pumping unit is fed with city water pressure for both Hot and Cold water. Junker was bought out by Bosch a number of years ago.
I think the older ones were simple and abbot 80% efficient. Some of the newer ones are complicated and really efficient (mine is 98%). Seems that old once worked great and the primary benefit is no stand by loss. If we want the boost to 98% efficiency we not only have to pay more but also take a risk that the technology/production quality is adequate.

I'll let you all know if it breaks

Incidentally, my wash is attached to my quick lube. I would like to make it the 'greenest quick lube on the planet' and market via facebook and local green meetings. This is part of that infrastructure so I took the risk. Also: I love the idea of NO WASTE! It's 'green' and saves money (more sustainable and makes financial sense).