What's new

Stickers on defroster wires?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's a good tip for removal of stickers that are on defroster wires on a rear window?

Not looking for theories, but rather tried and true methods you have used for safe removal of decals on defroster wires. Thanks!:eek:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have seen some success with heat gun after applying adhesive remover much like for a dealer decal. As you already know - no scrapping. I would rather leave it on than pay for a new rear window or defroster wiring.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Heat Gun, turn on defroster to heat window

Adhesive remover or lacquer thinner (make sure you ventilate with a fan or wear a fume mask) with towel to remove glue

Lots of patience

I would make customer sign a waiver that you are not responsible for damage to defroster. Even being cautious depending on how long it has been on there you could pull part of the defroster wire off while removing the sticker or adhesive.

I will not remove tint from rear windows anymore at my shops, after having to replace two rear windows at a cost of $1000 each.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great tips; thanks. Mostly I do this for dealers. I like the tip of putting the rear defrost on to heat it up. Cool.

sparkey

Reaction score
I am not sure how to get it off, but just wanted to let you know what the defroster actually is. I used to work at a glass plant that made glass for all the major automakers. The rear window defroster is actually a lead based paint that is silk-screened onto the glass. It is not an actual wire. Just something to keep in mind as you are trying to remove the sticker.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not sure how to get it off, but just wanted to let you know what the defroster actually is. I used to work at a glass plant that made glass for all the major automakers. The rear window defroster is actually a lead based paint that is silk-screened onto the glass. It is not an actual wire. Just something to keep in mind as you are trying to remove the sticker.
Can it be touched up if some is scratched off? I've had cars like that before.

Steamer is a good idea Soapy.

jfmoran

Reaction score
That's good information, knew it was painted, but always thought there was a small wire underneath. Ditto, the question down below, can it be repaired?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, as already mentioned (and linked), there is a repair kit to fix it.

The key to removing a decal off of a surface you can't scrape with a razor is heat. When I replace vacuum decals I use a torch and warm it enough that it will peel off; of course most of the adhesive stays behind. 3M Adhesive Cleaner is by far the best product I've used for removing the gum. The trick is to wet a paper towel and use that to wet the adhesive. It dries slowly but it helps to keep wetting it as it works. Don't bother trying to scrub the adhesive off with the towel and cleaner; it will just smear everywhere. It takes about 30 seconds for it to get really soft, then the bulk will come right off with a Bondo putty spreader. The small amount left will wipe off easily.

If the decal is so old that it can't be peeled without breaking even when you heat it, the key is still heat. Keep two Bondo spreaders (One for a clean edge to remove the adhesive). Use one as a scraper to remove the vinyl. It will get chewed up pretty quickly, but it won't harm a painted surface no matter how hard you scrape with it.

Be careful heating tempered glass - you need to heat a large area gradually or it will shatter. Almost all windows in a modern car except the windshield are tempered glass.