What's new

paint for auto bay

glennjude

Reaction score
Hi , Glenn here in Australia . I am looking for some paint advice . My new wash will hopefully be ready for opening late this month.In the auto bay we have tiled to a height of 8 ft and I wish to paint the remaining 3-4ft above this to the roof, will 2 coats of good quality gloss acrylic hold up ok or should I be looking at something else,( the wall is concrete panel ) .

Thanks, Regards Glenn

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hi , Glenn here in Australia . I am looking for some paint advice . My new wash will hopefully be ready for opening late this month.In the auto bay we have tiled to a height of 8 ft and I wish to paint the remaining 3-4ft above this to the roof, will 2 coats of good quality gloss acrylic hold up ok or should I be looking at something else,( the wall is concrete panel ) .

Thanks, Regards Glenn
Glenn,

It has been awhile since we have painted but the best we used was a water based 2 part epoxy from Columbia Paints ---- now owned by Sherwin Williams. Up that high is what we also did & made sense with our FRP up the first 8 feet similar to what you have in mind for the tile. You would have to verify it with your local climate & the exact surface etc. Our surface is lightweight concrete blocks & we are in the coldest climate area of the USA other than parts of Alaska.

MJ

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't know what temps you will be dealing with there, but if it will be below freezing I would never recommend paint. Most of my car wash painting experiences have been bad and I will never do it again. You can speak with all of the paint mfrs in the world, do exactly what they say, and still regret the decision. You may get by with painting that small area with ok results, but if you have another option, take it. All that being said, my best paint result was with water based epoxy. I painted two washes with water based and two with oil based. One of the water based jobs did ok, the other a disaster and nothing different was done. Both of the oil based jobs were disasters, so much that the pictures were used in the Self Service Car Wash News, as in "what not to do".

My painting advice...Don't!

dogwasher

Reaction score
Install the FRP board unless you want to touch up the paint every year

Eric H

Reaction score
You might consider a concrete stain. I stained the back wall of my equipment room with some a few years ago to cover some graffiti that I could not get off. It looks good after 2-3 years and I intend to stain the rest of the building turning it from brown to gray. The stain does not have a glossy appearance but does give the walls a uniform color.

soapy

Reaction score
I have painted some IBA bays in the past with paint that turned out OK. The most important thing is to get the block sealed with a block sealer before paint ever sees it. The block should cure for at least 28 days to let all the moisture get out of the mortar and block. I used a swimming pool sealer on all of my block an put on 2 heavy coats so that all the pores were completly closed. Then 2 coats of a good epoxy paint. I also used Columbia paint which has since been purchased by sherwin williams like was mentioned earlier. No of the paint has peeled in either bay in 8 years.

Etowah