What's new

Security camera input

waterboy

Reaction score
I just had some bonehead dump his rv waste tank in one of my self serv bays. I had to shut everything down because it goes straight into my reclaim. Smells real good:eek: Long story short, I am need a of a good camera system to pick up tags. I have 2 ss bays and 1 auto. Looking for a 6 camera system on a tight budget. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Eric H

Reaction score
you might want to check out some of the x-10 sites:
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
They seem to have a lot of options. I do not own one of these systems so I do not know how well they will hold up in a carwash enviorment.

MEP001

Reaction score
The 8-channel, 8-camera system for $499 waterway linked at Costo is currently on TigerDirect.com for $399.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I just had some bonehead dump his rv waste tank in one of my self serv bays. I had to shut everything down because it goes straight into my reclaim. Smells real good:eek: Long story short, I am need a of a good camera system to pick up tags. I have 2 ss bays and 1 auto. Looking for a 6 camera system on a tight budget. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Waterboy,

If the resolution detail is too low --- you need to consider the extra time that you will invest trying to make out what happened. Not to mention the more likelihood of having the frustration of not having firm enough evidence.

How the camera handles headlights & other lighting is also just as important as matching all the resolutions.

MJ

waterboy

Reaction score
Thanks

Looks like I am going with the QSEE from Costco. Has anybody besides Waterway have any expierence with these cameras ? And most of all do they pick up tags ? Thanks again.

Kevin James

Reaction score
When you get the license plate/tag number then what do you plan on doing with that information?

waterboy

Reaction score
Contacting the Police

I plan on calling the cops, and have them pay for the damage. Whether it be tampering ( illegal dumping ) vandalism or theft.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I plan on calling the cops, and have them pay for the damage. Whether it be tampering ( illegal dumping ) vandalism or theft.
Although I agree that getting pics and tag #s is better than not, be prepared to learn that the cops will do very little, even when you've done all the work for them. Vandalism and petty theft is pretty much a nusciance to them. They want blood and gunfire to take it seriously.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Although I agree that getting pics and tag #s is better than not, be prepared to learn that the cops will do very little, even when you've done all the work for them. Vandalism and petty theft is pretty much a nusciance to them. They want blood and gunfire to take it seriously.
I have to agree 100% with “I.B. Washincars” Vandalism/Property crime, the Police will do very little to help you, Crimes against a person now that’ll get some action. A license plate/tag number alone won’t get you much action, you’ll also need a very good picture of the person doing the deed. The registered owner may have loaned/sold or rented the vehicle to someone else. The last time we got dumped on we got a truck load of about 200 computers scraped out computers, all the good stuff had been pulled. After reviewing the video and got a great plate number of the truck, called the Police and they came out took a report and said she’d be back with a photo lineup. About 2 hours later she came back and laid out 6 photos, one of them was the registered owner of the truck. There was no way anyone of us could positively identify who was driving the truck. We also found out that you’ve got to have signs saying, No Dumping, No Household Garbage. We don’t bother calling the Police much anymore it’s pretty much a waste of our time. It’s very frustrating to say the least

washnvac

Reaction score
We also found out that you’ve got to have signs saying, No Dumping, No Household Garbage. We don’t bother calling the Police much anymore it’s pretty much a waste of our time. It’s very frustrating to say the least
Go dump the crap on the owners front yard. See what happens to you then when you tell the police that you did not see a sign that says "no dumping". I will bet that would be a different story.

Just because there is no specific signs, does not mean that it is ok. Has common sense left us all together?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You can use small claims court for the non-criminal stuff. I did it a lot. If its criminal and they won't do anything go to the press. Once, I had the Chief of Police 5 minutes away from being fired. I didn't want an apology, I wanted him fired. I just went to the prosecuting attorney and after showing him the evidence, and threaten to go to the press, he presented it to the chief and the chief lied, which resulted in more proof, which ALMOST got his butt fired. Of course, the info got around and I had perfect police action after that.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
You might check out the SuperCircuits website. I have used their systems for years with very good luck and LIFETIME SUPPORT. Many police departments use their equipment plus their prices are also very competitive.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I’ve been doing some research on these entry level security systems. They now offer two types of camera’s, CMOS and CCD. I’m wondering what the difference is and which is better for our application?

There are some really good deals out there on 8 and 16 channel systems. I only have a 4 channel system and really need to upgrade.

MEP001

Reaction score
The main difference is the way they're manufactured, which makes CMOS less expensive, and with an "entry level" DVR you probably won't see a difference in the recorded image quality.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
After getting dumped on, I purchased and installed cameras. Bought tag cameras that really worked. So far have 2 videos showing stolen hoses. Police come out and after 2 weeks nothing has been done. ir660 cameras work for getting tag numbers. The only thing you are going to get out of a camera system is being able to see what happened. They will stop some people from coming and stealing or dumping. I say put up cameras but put up large signs saying cameras are here. One cut f/b hose and took it. Kept looking around to see if anyone was watching. Did not look up and see he was on camera. Police do not care about minor crimes. Cameras will run them somewhere else. $2,000.00 later not much good was done. By the way both reports were given to 2 differant police departments.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I totally agree. Thats why I'm hesitant at spending lots of money on a top of the line system when a cheaper 8 or 12 camera system will work just as good. Mostly as a deterant. I have large signs posting that the CW is protected by "Video Surveillance"...Since putting the signs up and bringing my camera's out in the open, I've caught hoodlums on video at 3 a.m. that look up at the sign, then to the camera's, and then cower out of view. Seems to be working so far.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The police can be extra tough too!

You can use small claims court for the non-criminal stuff. I did it a lot. If its criminal and they won't do anything go to the press. Once, I had the Chief of Police 5 minutes away from being fired. I didn't want an apology, I wanted him fired. I just went to the prosecuting attorney and after showing him the evidence, and threaten to go to the press, he presented it to the chief and the chief lied, which resulted in more proof, which ALMOST got his butt fired. Of course, the info got around and I had perfect police action after that.
Bill & others,

Your example shows --- how it can take effort to make our system of democracy to work properly.

In our area --- I have actually found lack of police response to actually go the other way. I remember vividly the time when someone did a hit & run on our boom & hose in the bay. The police officer was able to extrapolate the missing digit on the plate from the video recording.

I just wanted the proper restitution because it was obvious the customer did not intentionally do it --- but was still hit & run. The police officer gave me an ultimatum --- that if I did not sign a complaint against the person --- they would no longer assist me. The guy's insurance company intervened & saved the guy's butt.

Government people in general --- who don't give proper attention --- also need to pay a price & eventually can be held accountable ---- once enough people realize that they have been "had" & continue to be "had". Like I said --- it usually takes a honest good faith effort!

mike walsh king koin of bismarck