What's new

can internet be used for dial up cc

waright

Reaction score
can you use the internet, with a magic jack connector or some other connector, to process dial-up credit cards. The phone bill for multiple lines keeps going up and up. phone bill runs about 120/ mo., with high speed internet rates at 40/ mo.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
can you use the internet, with a magic jack connector or some other connector, to process dial-up credit cards. The phone bill for multiple lines keeps going up and up. phone bill runs about 120/ mo., with high speed internet rates at 40/ mo.
How many phone lines are you using and for how many terminals. Years ago at an ICA show some guy was "Bragging" that he had 8 phone lines for credit cards. I asked why because with 8 fuel dispensors and the in store terminal I only used one. He looked at me like I was from outer space.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The magic jack , vonage, and or the new verizon sytem that gives you a service like a home phone digitizes the audio and distorts the digital data. While the phone company also does that -it is alot smoother for the data. So currently that system would not work. How many phone lines are you using, you should only need one. Have you checked with your cc system , if internet clearing is available.

bigleo48

Reaction score
MagicJack, Vonage and others use VOIP (variable data rate compressed to about 3Kbps) and the phone line is legally required to encode at 64 Kbps PCM. The biggest difference is that VOIP codecs are specially designed to compress and predict voice. Depending on the modulation type used by the modems, this does not work well as modem tones (PAM unless using 56K protocols) as these tones cannot be recreated in voice.

However, Credit Card clearing uses very slow\low data rate connections with very robust protocols to get as reliable a data transfer as possible. So it can and did work for me using Vonage. Vonage also allows you to set the call quality (ie, the compression) to a maximum rate and you can also configure the router/VOIP box to prioritize voice traffic (something you always want to do as voice is time dependent and most data is not). Finally you connect the VOIP box directly to your DSL modem and hang the rest of the network behind it. Having said all this, it also depends on how good you internet connection is. I now have VOIP phone service via my cable company and its 100%.

waright

Reaction score
thanks, This wash has two hamilton acw4 with dial up credit cards. We have two phone lines to the wash. Credit cards usage is about 53% for the automatics.

When you look at the phone bill and you see all these little charges for government this and government that and the taxes, etc. it makes you think of a way to lower the expenses. Another wash in town switched to high speed using new washcard equipment, and their internet costs 42.75 a month. Saving $70/ mo. could go a long way towards upgrading my credit card system.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
When you look at the phone bill and you see all these little charges for government this and government that and the taxes, etc.
"little charges" my butt :mad:
with all those fees, taxes, assessments, surcharges etc (all euphemisms for TAXES), 1 land line is now more expensive than cell phones or cable internet.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I can tell you that traditional landline service is getting hammered and the telcos are working hard a stopping the bleeding. I know my home phone was $65/mth and they offered it to me at $15. I told them it was too late...they should have offered it to me months ago.

So you can try and see what they can do for you first.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I bought an OOMA 4 years ago when it provided free phone for life. Now you have to pay the government taxes each year which total $36 a year. It has provided free phone the entire time with no interruption. I kept my old number and you can't tell I have VOIP. It cost me $200 to buy the OOMA back then and my phone bill was $60 per month. 48 months at $60 per month minus the initial $200 investment has saved me $2680 over the last 4 years with no decrease in service. 911 even works. That being said, I still have not gone with VOIP at my business office.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Just killing the "dial 1" ability in WA saved me $4-$5 a month.

Today you can buy a cordless phone that has bluetooth you just charge your cell near the base and you have phones through out your house. Some even have 2 - 3 lines.