What's new

Where do "you" pump your RO discharge water?

dogwasher

Reaction score
The waste water from my RO unit goes down the drain, it looks like a lot of water $$. The wash is set up to utilize some of the water in the holding tanks for the automatics but when the automatics are not running the discharge water goes down the drain. I dont have much room to install another holding tank but any ideas would help.
Thanks

addicted2cleancars

Reaction score
I collect mine in a 90 tank to reuse for High Pressure. I know of a wash in SC that sends it to a collect tank underground that he pulls from when he waters his flowers and shrubs.

soapy

Reaction score
Mine goes to a oversized tank that I have plumbed into my automatic washes. It then supplies water to the HP portion of my touchless wash. For every gallon of RO water you are getting you art sending 2 to 4 gallons of water down your drain.

lag

Reaction score
We also collect ours into holding tanks ,then pump it back into our cold water plumbing ,after the softner. Been doing it for years.

AdamA

Reaction score
I too am very spae constrained. Water ran to the drain when I bought the wash 5? years ago.

So, I installed a large Gorilla rack. Put RO on right and 100 gal. tank on left for discharge. Then installed a new float switch on each auto, set about 3" higher than incoming fresh water. I also installed an overflow to floor, but it never overflows.

I like that I don't need another pump and gravity has been absolutely reliable :)
The extra space on the rack is also nice. Send me your cell # if you want a pic.

Adam

dogwasher

Reaction score
Here's an update.. I am up and running without wasting any RO water. I installed a 300 gallon tank(32" round by 84" tall) Installed a cheap well pump from Harbor Frieght (recommended from all your help out there) A low water cut off switch in the bottom of the tank, Installed two floats in my two rinse tanks just above the original existing floats and it WORKS GREAT. Not a drop wasted. On a busy day we will turn off the RO unit after we leave and turn it on in the morning when the cars start washing.

Reaction score
what's a gorilla rack? My water and sewer is so expensive I need to start reusing the water from my ro and charcol filter.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing this now.

I'm using a 250 gal. tank I bought used. It's square and has a metal cage around it. It has a bung on top and ball valve at the bottom.

It's identical to the one I keep my RO water in and is stackable, so one will be atop the other in my pump room.

If anyone wants a tank like this, I can get them at a reasonable price.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing this now.

I'm using a 250 gal. tank I bought used. It's square and has a metal cage around it. It has a bung on top and ball valve at the bottom.

It's identical to the one I keep my RO water in and is stackable, so one will be atop the other in my pump room.

If anyone wants a tank like this, I can get them at a reasonable price.
WM, you're probably talking about a reusable tote and it's probably 275 gallons. We have hundreds of them that we ship asphalt emulsion in. You can usually get them for $20 at any ag chemical store or co-op. They are used to ship chemicals like Roundup, then they don't need the tote.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RB

yep, that's the tote I have. Mine is Bcomponent for tire fill; washable with water.

I'm looking forward to installing it for my RO reject reclaim project.

AdamA

Reaction score
Just a generic term for a large rack. I got mine at Grainger and they are available elsewhere.