What's new

Beware of electronic safes

soapy

Reaction score
A local restaraunt next to one of my washes was broken into this week. He had a large safe bolted down into the concrete. When the owner came into work on Monday he found his safe emptied of about $8000 in cash. The safe was fine but the battery for the electronic digital code had been removed. Turns out there is a simple way to open one of these types of safes in seconds. I won't reveal how it is done but I would not rely on one ever again. A good old mechanical type of safe is a better option.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Soapy, while it seems stupid to describe how it was done, the crooks have their own web sites and youtube videos telling them how it is done. We are the dumb ones that do not know, nor how to protect ourselves.

DavidM

Reaction score
I recently saw a youtube video explaining that many electronic hotel safes are not at all secure. They all have a master code to open them in case the guest forgets the code they set. The problem is that some hotels do not change the master code, they leave it on the default. This allows the safe to open by using "0000"