What's new

Cashless…who’s done it and what should we know?

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has taken the cashless plunge. Our chargers are getting old and seriously considering it. Currently have count up in our bays, offer a cash incentive (extra tokens) for cash and wondering what the folks that have switched have seen. Currently only about 17% cash. Thanks in advance!!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I haven't done it yet but plan on it. I had a friend that did it at one wash in late 2022 and the gross was up 10% in 2023. He converted his last remaining "standard" wash to credit only and loves it. It saves his manager a day a week to collect and process cash. He owns four washes, three are now cashless and one is gated with a $10 entry that still takes cash at the paystation.

kentadel

Reaction score
Cash is working it's way out of my washes on it's own. Like you, cash is now 20% when just a couple years ago cash was over 40%. I still like a little cash coming in so I will keep it. :)

Car Wash Man

Reaction score
We are in a smaller town where cash is still used commonly used. About 30 percent is still cash by us. We thought about going cashless when we installed a new kiosk two years ago, but keep coming back to giving the customer the option if they want it. Also big plus of still offering both is if you have downtime with a jam for cash or cc goes down for some reason. Still lets the customer use the other option and prevent total down time. Our CC reader froze up two weeks ago during a busy weekend and was still able to put cars through for that hour until the CC reader was able to do hard reset.

kentadel

Reaction score
We did make the move to not accept quarters at our automatic pay-station, just cards and bills. We use a recycler to return bills as change.

Car Wash Man

Reaction score
We did make the move to not accept quarters at our automatic pay-station, just cards and bills. We use a recycler to return bills as change.
Eliminating quarters is definitely a big plus. Our kiosk only gives back dollar bills as change unlike our old Hamilton kiosk that gave quarters back as change. Eliminating quarters saved us alot of time.