What's new

Fire alarm panel monitoring for apartment building

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hi everyone.

One of my apartment buildings requires a monitored FIRE ALARM panel system. I had one installed a couple years ago and the electrician set it up for the company that he is familiar with for the monitoring. It's not a huge expense but seems like a lot to me for what you get; basically someone answering a phone call if the system is activated by smoke or fire and then intern notifies the fire department.

while doing some research for a friend about a system that he may be mandated to install, I came across A company advertising this service for much less money per month.

Does anyone have any experience switching companies in order to save money? The old companies name is lexington and ALARM and they charge $138 per quarter for alarm monitoring. The new company is $5.99/ month.

Keno

Reaction score
I have some experience with alarm monitoring (which is pretty similar to fire monitoring), you want to make sure the monitoring center is UL listed. They have to go through a process for that and have minimum standards they must adhere to. Most UL listed centers will be comparable. I wouldn't even consider a center without UL certification.

$5.99/month company is worthless if it takes them 30mins to respond to an alarm.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information I appreciate it.

Keno

Reaction score
Check online, there are hundreds, if not thousand, of monitoring companies in the UL database. Many will be cheaper than your current rate

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this is the inexpensive company i found:

They are UL certified.

Keno

Reaction score
Would recommend cellular monitoring, voip and network not as reliable when power goes out. Even old telephone not as reliable as cellular as long as you have good cell signal. Worth the extra $/mo in my opinion. I will only use cell for my properties