What's new

Hamilton Changer Keeps Getting Stuck

Reaction score
I have a hamilton changer dispensing quarters that keeps getting "stuck". Most common error code is 4 flashes, 3 flashes. I will try to flip the manual switch and just hear a hum. The solution is typically to dump the hopper out refill 10% full then reset and its good. Only one time there was a really mangled up quarter truly stuck in the wheel but the rest of the time tipping the hopper back and or dumping solves it.

Is the wheel a wearable part? Or maybe is the motor weak and needs replaced?

I know @Randy will know the answer to this but I wanted to post publicly in case someone else runs into similar issues.

Randy

Reaction score
A 4 – 3 error is a Hopper 3 Coin drop switch stuck error. Replace the Payout switch and you should be golden. You might also want to look at the Hopper bowl for a groove that gets worn into the bottom of the Hopper with age. When you get a groove worn in the bottom of the Hopper bowl you can get a dam and the coins will get jam up in the bottom of the Hopper preventing the wheel from turning, this is not a good thing as it puts an abnormal amount of stress on the transfer case in the motor. The motor is designed to stop on the back of the motor, not the front. So if you have a deep groove worn in the bottom of the Hopper bowl it would be a good idea to replace it.

Reaction score
A 4 – 3 error is a Hopper 3 Coin drop switch stuck error. Replace the Payout switch and you should be golden. You might also want to look at the Hopper bowl for a groove that gets worn into the bottom of the Hopper with age. When you get a groove worn in the bottom of the Hopper bowl you can get a dam and the coins will get jam up in the bottom of the Hopper preventing the wheel from turning, this is not a good thing as it puts an abnormal amount of stress on the transfer case in the motor. The motor is designed to stop on the back of the motor, not the front. So if you have a deep groove worn in the bottom of the Hopper bowl it would be a good idea to replace it.
Thank you for the diagnosis @Randy

I am not sure what the payout switch is. Is that a part I could order from Kleen Rite? I scrolled through their Hamilton parts but dont see anything for that.

soapy

Reaction score
Randy can supply the parts you need. The payout switch sit on top and when a quarter goes through the drop trough it pushes up a small switch that verifies payout.