What's new

How do MacNeil Super Flex Wraps handel rear bike racks, custum pickup cages?

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
You are absolutely right, we have been doing it wrong for so long, it is amazing. Of course with MacNeil equipment we do not get the litter of broken parts that you mentioned, maybe that is the difference. or is it the soap?

MEP001

Reaction score
The more successful c-store/gas chains today are those with highest numbers of associates per shift.
Are you implying they are busier because of the larger staff? Or could it be that they simply need more employees to handle a higher volume of customers?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I have no bullet proof vest, so I’ll pass on Chicago till current events get better up there.

My discussion assumes markets where washes have normal and above normal profits.

Washes in markets where $3.00 base price, low average sales predominates typically have below normal profits. Who wants a wash like that?

For example, I’m use to seeing unit variable cost of between $2.00 and $2.50 not one dollar, average sales $10 or more.

Surprisingly, operators contact me occasionally wanting to know how to exploit washes that compete on basis of low price.

When the supply side prices like a commodity (i.e. gasoline), retailers tend to market stuff that has a robust margin.

Otherwise, there would not be sufficient gross sales to provide adequate management and staff to ensure customer-centric operation without cutting corners like the example $3.00 carwash.

The more successful c-store/gas chains today are those with highest numbers of associates per shift.

I’ve seen my share of $3.00 washes with low averages and most aren’t friendly. It’s all about getting them through the tunnel. Most don’t even try to sell you anything.

Of course, if $3.00 is all I could get for a carwash, I guess I might not be very friendly either.

On other hand, most of the operators I know that average $10 or more seem pretty happy.
http://giphy.com/gifs/funny-snl-yes-w2UtIGtEpuR9u

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“You are absolutely right, we have been doing it wrong for so long.”

I said the exact opposite with respect to your comments.

“Are you implying they are busier because of the larger staff? Or could it be that they simply need more employees to handle a higher volume of customers?”

It’s self-fulfilling philosophy.

Hess operated here for years living off the fat of the land - high demand area, understaffed stores, poor customer service, filthy bathrooms, cardboard pizza, dusty merchandise on shelves, crappy carwash, etc.

Wawa came in here and cleaned their clock along with some others.

Reason is modern store, plenty of friendly staff, attentive manager, clean everything, food people want to eat, reasonably priced merchandise. No carwash.

Hess is here no more.

I’ve been consulting about 17 years. Since the express boom, I can honestly say no developer has ever come to me and asked how to go about building a $3.00 wash.

Most investors want to hit grand slams or at least home run.

$2.00 carwash in Detroit, I’d say adios and look for another gig.

I’m glad I never had to duke it out in $2.00 market. What a way to make a living.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I can find points in both your and Earls arguments I can agree with. I think RPH's tag line says it all, "All carwashes are the same, they are different ". I don't think it is necessary or prudent to examine every car with a fine tooth comb before I wash it and I don't think the $3 wash concept is a good idea either. Somewhere in the middle has worked for me for 30+ years.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

I’ve been consulting about 17 years. Since the express boom, I can honestly say no developer has ever come to me and asked how to go about building a $3.00 wash.

Considering the number of $3.00 washes built in the last 17 years and the fact that no one has asked for you to consult on one in 17n years can mean a lot of different things.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Industry best practice for staffing an exterior express conveyor is two persons per shift, two seven-hour shifts. One person would be sufficient for “low” hourly volumes.

Congrats. You have now set yourself up to be called as an "Expert" witness in any case there is an issue where 2 people were not on duty, or perhaps when 2 were not in the loading area because you supposedly know ""Industry Best Practice". You of course will have to define what is a "Low" volume, and the Car Wash may be forced to hire an expert to refute your rash generalizations based on limited observation. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3exqfNxeOY Busy time - one loader, $6.00 Base price. Many like this.

If you think this is a chicken little claim I will tell you I was sued when a customer ran into a person. One of the things plaintiff Attorney tried was to use a supposed best practices piece put out by the ICA which I think was written by an insurance guy which was also published in mags to claim we were negligent for not following procedures he outlined. 2 ICA people - Thorsby & Wolf were subpoenaed and deposed. Problem with using the piece against us was that it was published after the accident, and it had no application to operations where customers stayed in the car - it had to do with how your employees should operate customers vehicles.

Still created a headache for those deposed and for me.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Best practice is a method that consistently shows results superior to those achieved with other means that is used as a benchmark.

For example, the loyalty business model is considered a best practice in the carwash industry.

Reason is experience provides sufficient evidence that quality of product or service leads to customer satisfaction, which leads to customer loyalty, which leads to profitability.

Most washes with two persons, two seven-hour shifts and manager have superior results.

This is why it’s considered best practice.

If the wash doesn’t make enough money to support best practice, don’t follow it.

Of course, this brings up question of why the wash can’t afford to implement best practices that are known to provide superior results.

In marketing, low volume means small amount of sales.

For example, if benchmark is $600,000, an average, and upper quartile is $900,000, then $300,000 could be considered low volume.

Medium would be considered some reasonable point or range between low and average.

These values are not pulled out of a hat but rather developed from analogues of stores.

Analogues are representative groups of stores that have the similar characteristics.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Best practice is a method that consistently shows results superior to those achieved with other means that is used as a benchmark.

Most washes with two persons, two seven-hour shifts and manager have superior results.

This is why it’s considered best practice.

If the wash doesn’t make enough money to support best practice, don’t follow it.

IMO you have avoided the issue.
1. Having 2 people per shift is far different than having 2 stuck at the entrance to examine every car for damage, losse items, and non original equipment.
2. Even doing this does not provide superior results since results should be a function of equipment , chemistry, etc. Not how much labor an EE has.
3. Just because a wash generates enough money to pay an expense does not justify the expense.

Etowah

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….Even doing this does not provide superior results since results should be a function of equipment, chemistry, etc. Not how much labor an EE has.”

The value of labor depends on functions performed and the value it adds during the process of transforming inputs into the final product.

If superior results can be obtained solely with equipment, chemistry, etc., then logical course of action would be to eliminate all labor.

For example, Tommy markets unattended loading albeit with person in control room.

If one person is in control room, what person would do housekeeping or resolve customer issues or fix things while carwash is operating, etc.

I’ve seen washes where employees are virtually smile attendants (like McDonalds) that add very little value to transformation process.

I’ve also seen companies where conveyor attendants are very involved with the business. Not only do they perform quality assurance, they are involved with promotion, customer service, etc.

“Just because a wash generates enough money to pay an expense does not justify the expense.”

Deciding to add another attendant is similar to evaluating alternative investment returns.

Most folks would prefer a high rate of return rather than low on typically safe investment.

So, no, if adding another attendant is only going to be like sticking another tit on a bull, I would agree.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
$2.00 carwash in Detroit, I’d say adios and look for another gig.

I’m glad I never had to duke it out in $2.00 market. What a way to make a living.

I operate in Detroit and yes, not a way to make a living! I started out in 2005 as an exterior wash only and flexible enough to do interior clean. Staffing was always an issue. Nobody wants to work hard. I tried a commission structure as an incentive but was not successful. I totally concentrate on exterior only. I do have towel dryers but the reason for that is hand applying tire shine. 1 in 3 customers want tire shine. I'm considering a tire shine machine to eliminate the towel dryers but that is for another budget year.

Most of the washes here are now $4-$5. I'm at $5 and the my car average is $7.15. I have operators that offer $4 wash along with free vacs now. I do not want to venture into the free vac path. Mine are cleaned daily and I get $1.25 for 4 minutes. However, I was only allowed 4 vacs when I built this place in 2005. Looking at adding more because we are undeserving our customers.

I'm a man of many hats since this is my only source of revenue. Customer service, maintenance, marketing, and etc. Price point will not allow me to increase my price at this time. Oh, and Minimum wage went up 3 times since September of 2014 and these clowns have not made a price increase. Looking for more ways to be innovative to reduce labor but low margins are squeezing this industry.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Looking for more ways to be innovative to reduce labor but low margins are squeezing this industry.”

If base price is $5, average $7.15 and it’s tough, I would look for ways to increase revenue rather than reduce expenses.

“…flexible enough to do interior clean….Staffing was….issue….Nobody wants to work hard….tried a commission structure…..not successful.”

Mostly likely the work wasn’t easy enough and commission was too difficult to achieve because volume and/or price was too low.

What to do?

Constraints - do not want to venture into the free vac path, tire shiner must wait because of budget

To achieve objective, constraints must be overcome. One way to overcome constraints is to exploit them.

If investment is preventing business from moving toward or achieving its goal, apply all of the resources possible (time and effort) to assist in breaking this constraint.

If increasing the customer attraction rate (sales volumes) isn’t possible, then look for ways to increase customer loyalty rate (average revenue).

For example, if average sales could be pumped up to $9.17, the amount available for investment would be sales volume times $2.00 less any difference in selling cost.

Here, time and effort would involve strategies and tactics such as menu design, reformulating service offerings and recipes, naming convention, pricing scheme, loyalty rewards, etc.

Here, you would attempt to develop sustainable competitive advantage by means of differentiation and niche strategies rather than cost.

Towards that end, I’ve often found that investing a little to get more out of what one already has is preferable to borrowing a lot to get there.

Hope this helps.

jrod

Reaction score
I agree with everyone that self loading is not a good idea, mainly because you have to have a belt and belts suck in long run. But hey there a benefit to both a belt and conveyor, gotta decide what’s important to you.

to answer your question about 701s. From my one year of experience, they handle hitches and jeeps with tires on the backs fine, it’s definitely not great for your brushes and bearings but it won’t kill them. I plan on adding a retract button to avoid this and save me money in maintenance, but I’m not trying to self load.

Islandwash

Reaction score
I have 701's , Jeeps with tires and trailer itches are ok. I have a retract button for each set of Wraps and another for the Top brushes. Bike Racks are not washed. The loader is critical to avoid claims and please the customer.