What's new

I don't understand buffing pad colors

Ron Swanson

Reaction score
I recently got a set of 3" buffing/polishing pads off Amazon and I need to get a better understanding about how to use them in general. If there's a tutorial out there that explains them I'd appreciate a link.

I don't have the chart in front of me right now, but I believe the instructions that came with them indicated the orange foam pad was for harder cutting, the blue and yellow foam pads would be for medium cutting/polishing, and the black and white foam pads are for fine polishing. Do all foam polishing pads follow this same color / grade code regardless of the manufacturer?

MEP001

Reaction score
This is not a DIY forum. There are plenty of those out there.

Timbw

Reaction score
They can be different…
Not 100% foolproof, but if you can’t find/ remember the providers guide it might still be on the online market place listing you might find different colour pads feel stiffer or softer to the squeeze when it’s dry..

The firmer the pad, the more of a cut / harsh correction it might offer. The softer the more it’s for polishing /finishing …of course pads work in conjunction with the preferred combo of cut/compound /polish to pad for the paint hardness and level of correction /finish required or desired and the machine being used. So test panel/sections are a good idea.

if you have a microfibre pad, that I hope should be self explanatory compared to the foam pads ..

Personally I stay away from no name /Chinese pads as the quality and longevity is variable and untrustworthy. Last thing you want is a cheap Pad disintegrating as you are working.. for me it’s just a false economy.