What's new

Mercury Relay vs Fuse to Protect IDX MX-8 / IDX MX-10 Foamy Brush & Tire Cleaner

trs246810

Reaction score
I had a 1/3 HP pump motor (With Procon) short out, and it took out my IDX MX-8. I've installed a new motor, Procon, and MX-10...but I would like to protect my multiplexor from this happening again. Is there a Mercury Relay option or an inline fuse someone would recommend? I usually purchase everything I can from Kleenrite. mx-10.jpg I

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I fused my MX 10 many years ago with a cheap glass inline fuse. Seems to work fine and I know it has protected it at least once when a motor failed. But a mercury relay would be a good idea too.

trs246810

Reaction score
would a mercury relay installed be similar to what is used on vacuums? I don't guess a transformer would be necessary in this case? what type of in-line fuse did you go with? sorry for so many questions. I should probably start a separate thread and ask if anyone knows how to repair a MX-8? I definitely don't want to make the same mistake again and not protect things better.

OurTown

Reaction score
If going the relay or contactor route wouldn't you just remove the MX-8 and have one fused relay for each bay?

trs246810

Reaction score
If going the relay or contactor route wouldn't you just remove the MX-8 and have one fused relay for each bay?
I would definitely be more open to that, if I had a better understanding of how to do it.

trs246810

Reaction score
I fused my MX 10 many years ago with a cheap glass inline fuse. Seems to work fine and I know it has protected it at least once when a motor failed. But a mercury relay would be a good idea too.
I ordered these...what fuse did you use?

Randy

Reaction score
would a mercury relay installed be similar to what is used on vacuums? I don't guess a transformer would be necessary in this case? what type of in-line fuse did you go with? sorry for so many questions. I should probably start a separate thread and ask if anyone knows how to repair a MX-8? I definitely don't want to make the same mistake again and not protect things better.
You want to use 20 amp fuse. I believe the MX-8 is rated at 25 amp load. To install a Mercury relay it would be the same as in your vac;s. The MX-8 would control the coil on the 120 volt Mercury relay and you’d use the connections on the top of the Mercury relay to control the motor. This way the MX-8 would be isolated from the motor. I don’t think the MX-8 is repairable. But you might call RDM Industrial Electronics and ask them.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think I have a standard 20 amp glass fuse- not a slow blow. Smaller would be fine too. The 1/2 HP procon pumps use about 8 amps so I imagine a 10 would be fine.