What's new

New Car Wash Owner Questions

askylitdrive

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here. This question has probably been asked alot and I apologize in advance. My buddy and I are looking to open an automated car wash in the Tampa Bay area. A locally owned car wash named Imperial opened in the area about a year ago, and they are KILLING it. It's a tunnel conveyer system with about 20-30 bays that include a vacuum system, compressed air, glass cleaner, degreaser, free towels, and sinks for mat cleaning. It's always an awesome experience, and the kids love helping clean too, looking to mirror this type of wash system if possible. We're tired of working our butt's off for companies that take advantage of our drive just to fill their pockets with money, and would love to put that effort into our own business. What has been your initial start up costs, best loans, washing systems ect...any information you can provide is always useful, and would be extremely appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What you are describing is an express wash. The initial investment seems to be running about 3-4 million dollars right now for a good site. Look at Sonny's website here for more info, they are a leading manufacturer:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would also suggest getting a part-time job at this car wash that you're describing. That way you can get an insider's view of the daily operations. A lot of times a business looks very different on the outside from what it actually is to operate daily. this is how you can get to know the car wash business and to see if you even like it. Do you have the skills it takes to be successful? Can you get a loan for this huge amount?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What you are describing is an express wash. The initial investment seems to be running about 3-4 million dollars right now for a good site. Look at Sonny's website here for more info, they are a leading manufacturer:

I would say that depends on the area and even on climate since area affects real estate value and climate affects construction requirements. $3 million and up plus land.

ShinePro

Reaction score
If you are in the Tampa area
Take a drive up to the Wesley Chapel area.
Lots of tunnels up there.
Mister, Tidal Wave, and more. We scouted those out 2 yrs ago when we were down there to see what was coming our way.
Lots to see!!

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
I know this area well and unless you are a highly experienced operator you are going to struggle to compete with some of the big players in the area (ie, Woodies Wash Shack). I would guess 4mil+ in this environment to build new. TB real estate isn't getting any cheaper.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
A locally owned car wash named Imperial opened in the area about a year ago, and they are KILLING it.
Not trying to be rude but if I had a 5 dollar bill for every time I have heard a similar sentiment from someone looking to get into the business I'd be posting this while lying on a white sand beach in the Caribbean. The garbage heap of history is littered with similar stories that end in disaster. You've started at the correct place with this question because you have a ton to research before making an investment that may very well break you for a long time and there are a lot of very experienced operators that can shed the light on how much work and expense go into "killing it".

Start with initial investment. What I'm hearing is $3-$4 million on the low end. I've seen some over the $10 million mark. From what I'm hearing financing for washes is getting harder and harder to obtain.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great business that can be extremely personally and financially rewarding but it's not easy. I have the knowledge and financial means to have a wash or two of my own but don't for one very big reason......I'm not prepared for the personal commitment in time to run it correctly.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Lol. Dude! Bro! They are killing it! I'm gonna do that too!

Whatever.

New ground up express washes are now $4M for construction and equipment. Land and soft costs are in addition to that.

You'll need at least $1.5M of your own money to put in, and that's assuming you can even find a bank willing to lend to a newb in this current environment.