What's new

Rol-Air down

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Power to motor, but won't turn the compressor. It makes a buzzing sound and trips the breaker. I haven't had time to look it over closely, any idea where to start? I've got my home compressor in place for now.

lag

Reaction score
Usually a buzzing sound I associate with the motor starter ,or contactor. But if you have power to the motor you may need to disconnect the wires to the motor ,and ohm out all the leads from the motor to ground, to see if you have a shorted motor.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
My air compressor did the same thing.....first thought the belt was not tight enough...tightened the belt worked fine for a few days before it tripped the breaker....next thought the motor might have a bad spot....tech told me when it did this to manually rotate about a quarter of a turn and if it started up that was what it would be....did that still did not start...in the end I just ordered a new motor for about $225 put it on and have not had a problem since....by the way...these thing seem tough to tighten the belts on....bought the smallest bottle jact I could find and it fits between the motoer and the cylinder head....apply pressure to tighten the belt....secure motor in position...release jack pressure .... remove jack...works great...old country boy taught me that trick...said the jack wasn't good at jacking up a car but it was fantastic at tightening compressor belts......

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The best way to determine if a motor is bad or going bad is with a clamp on amp meter.