What's new

Who manufactures the best washing machine?

Randy

Reaction score
Since I.B Washincars has a small washing machine problem I think this might be a good time to ask, who do you all think makes the best washing machine? I have a 23 year old direct drive Kenmore top load washer that's about as simple as it gets to repair.

washnshine

Reaction score
We’ve got a speed queen residential model at home and they are work horses. In 15 years I’ve only replaced the idler pulley kit (pulley, lever and belt) and the water solenoids (they come as an integrated set). Will buy another when this goes. I also recommend getting the dial and switch controls as opposed to the electronic touch pad. They don’t ever have problems.

MEP001

Reaction score
I want one with the old-style dial and switches so I can program a ladder relay to do things like let it fill and agitate, then stop for a few hours to soak. Mine's a Maytag and does a great job, but it's the cheapest one with a metal (stainless) drum. It spins so super fast that the clothes come out almost dry, and it can handle nine pairs of jeans.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought one of those fancy new top loaders without the agitator and had nothing but problems with it. What a piece of junk. It was a Maytag.

Right around the time that I threw it out in the front yard, I picked one up for free at the dairy farm up the street. I'm still using the farmers old hand me down washer to this day. I don't even know what kind it is I'll have to check. The cabinet is duct taped together!

Randy

Reaction score
The best washing machine you can buy right now is a top load Speed Queen TC5 Classic Clean with the mechanical timer or the TR7 Prefect Wash with the electronic controls. These machines aren’t cheap but they will last a long long time.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Speed Queen TC5 is cheaper than high-end household front loaders, which don't live very long without needing the main bearing replaced. My Maytag is seven years old and already acting up. It's more than half the price of the TC5. IMO the Speed Queen would be a good long-term purchase.

washnshine

Reaction score
The Speed Queen TC5 is cheaper than high-end household front loaders, which don't live very long without needing the main bearing replaced. My Maytag is seven years old and already acting up. It's more than half the price of the TC5. IMO the Speed Queen would be a good long-term purchase.
I have an old AWN432 Speed Queen. It’s my understanding that in 2018, SQ started to manufacture the more modern style top loaders without the traditional stroke agitator that other manufacturers were making. There was a demand for the “old style” to come back by the SQ loyalists because the newer models did not wash as well. SQ introduced the TC5 so they could offer the “classic” style to the customers that still demanded it, which I think is a lot of us long-time users of the older machines. Glad they did - that is what I’ll get if this one ever stops.

Randy

Reaction score
About 4 years ago my liberal Greenie nephew bought state of the art water saving Samsung washer and dryer. The first thing to break down was the dryer, 6 months after the warranty expired. The repair cost of the Dryer was going to be 2/3 the cost of a new one. He bought used Kenmore gas dryer, works like a dream. About 8 months later the washer died. He spent a lot of time and money trying to fix it, this part that part, control board, he couldn’t fix it. He called me and asked me what I would do. I told him to find a 20 year Kenmore or Whirlpool washer as they are but simple to fix. He found a nice 21 year old matching set Kenmore 70 washer and dryer that an older couple had. He paid $125 for both the washer and the dryer.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Just had my old Maytag that is like the one waxman had give up finally after 22 years. I looked at Speedqueen but went with the Maytag "commercial grade residential". It's right at 1k new. I can't testify to it's longevity, but it does a much better job washing and spinning than my old maytag did. It's a very aggressive agitator. It sounds like it's washing the shit out of those clothes. It even looks commercial, with zero consideration for aesthetics.

Whacks

Reaction score
I may be late to the party but I've had good luck with Samsung units, they last forever and rarely need any maintenance. Recently replaced my old one this last year and the new unit is working great. Both were Samsung units to clarify.

Etowah