What's new

reclaim systems

bmattivi

Reaction score
i have a new wave reclaim system for my wash water that has a sparger valve for re-circulating the water but the water smells terrible most of the time and now they are suggesting i replace the sparger valve with an o-zone system that will set me back over $5,000, anyone have a different alternative

Bill Manke

Reaction score
So are you recirculating water all the time or do you shut it down and let it set? We recirculate 24/7 plus have ozone and very little smell just kinda mildew smell. We just got our reclain up and running. But at first it stunk really bad until circulated for a day or two.

bmattivi

Reaction score
i run my sparger valve 24/7 i do not have ozone that is what the $5,000 cost is, i know new wave is a good company just looking for options

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Do you guys reclaim water from the self serve bays also or just from automatics?

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Do you guys reclaim water from the self serve bays also or just from automatics?
I reclaim just the automatics. Was going to try and do self-serves but reclaim guy recomended not to said it was to hard to regulate the water.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Yeah, when I built my first wash had a reclaim in it...reclaimed self serve and automatic water...big mistake had to clean the darn reclaim unit at least once a week if not more due to the gunk poured into the self serve drains. Any future washes I build will only reclaim the automatic water.

washnvac

Reaction score
Yeah, when I built my first wash had a reclaim in it...reclaimed self serve and automatic water.
I have two washes that have all the bays leading into the reclaim tanks. I reclaim at one with the Pur-Clean system. I have not had any issues. I do have ozone, and I clean the screen filter twice per week. It is easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

Ozone is the only thing that is going to get rid of the smell.

mac

Reaction score
Since New Wave Industries knows what it is doing, my advice would be to follow their advice.
Well I'm confused again. I know that must be hard to believe. If this new wave company knows what it is doing, then why didn't it recommend the ozone system in the first place? I've seen companies try to control odor in many ways, but a good ozone system almost always takes care of it. 5K for a good ozone system is about right. Make sure you ask what the warranty on it is as they are prone to failure if too much moisteure/humidity gets into it.

washnvac

Reaction score
then why didn't it recommend the ozone system in the first place?
Every company I spoke with did recommend the ozone for odor. But they try to come up with other options to keep the cost down. I agree with you, that ozone should be standard---because it works. Recalim is a big decision, and you certainly want to do it right the first time.

On the humidity issue, I recommend putting a/c in the equipment room. I have 4 locations and all equipment rooms have a/c--either permanent or portable. (I have geothermal in two) It keeps the humidity down, keeps the pipes from sweating, and it is better for the life of the equipment motors.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
One of the problems with ozone is the upfront cost. Typically in the neighborhood of $5,000. Ozone units can and will go out, many between 1 and 3 years of operation. I know because we manufacture Ozone Generators. Being a manufacturer, we can rework them at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Finding a good warranty is key too.

There are lower cost alternatives such as chlorine dioxide injection. If done properly, there are little or no corrosive effects, much like city water.

Air-sparging is a joke in a car wash. They offer this so they can sell a system cheaper and then turn around and nail you for the Ozone system. You end up paying dearly in the end. All too often, by the time that happens you have lost many of your customers.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get the right reclaim equipment to begin with. It may cost you more upfront but it will save you a lot of money and headaches down the line, making it well worth the extra investment.

bmattivi

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback, yeah i don't know why they sold me a sparger valve if it is not going to do the job, i do just have one auto at this site an inbay autec express and this was my first dealing with reclaim my other wash does not reclaim will probably have to go with the ozone and pay the price

BigK

Reaction score
The other option would be to use reclaim compatible chemicals to eliminate odor. Not sure what brand of chemicals you are currently using, but Ryko has an RC chemical line that has proven to eliminate odor. It would certainly be worth trying before spending 5 grand on an ozone, plus future maintenance costs.

mac

Reaction score
BigK, I would sure like to see any chemical that works well, also control reclaim odor. Call me skeptical. Sounds like marketing hype.

BigK

Reaction score
There's marketing hype, and then there's the real world. I know this product line was specifically designed for controlling reclaim odor. I have experienced sites that smelled like a hog farm, and no longer had that problem after converting.

The point I was trying to make is why spend on ton of money on new equipment to control odor, if there's another solution that may work as well or better?

Buzzie8

Reaction score
One of the problems with ozone is the upfront cost. Typically in the neighborhood of $5,000. Ozone units can and will go out, many between 1 and 3 years of operation. I know because we manufacture Ozone Generators. Being a manufacturer, we can rework them at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Finding a good warranty is key too.

There are lower cost alternatives such as chlorine dioxide injection. If done properly, there are little or no corrosive effects, much like city water.

Air-sparging is a joke in a car wash. They offer this so they can sell a system cheaper and then turn around and nail you for the Ozone system. You end up paying dearly in the end. All too often, by the time that happens you have lost many of your customers.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get the right reclaim equipment to begin with. It may cost you more upfront but it will save you a lot of money and headaches down the line, making it well worth the extra investment.
Dean, I just searched for this thread because my New Wave Ozonator is acting up and they said I need to replace the concentrator every two years at the cost of $2100+ . All it really needs are the canisters replaced from what they told me. Can this be done if I ship the Ozonator to you? Let me know.
Buzzie

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
Hi Buzzie,

Unfortunately, at CATEC we only service the ozone generators that we manufacture.

Just FYI: Besides odor control, Ozone does a lot of other things in the water too such as helping break down oils, waxes, soaps etc.

As you can see, this original post is quite old. Since then, we have developed a new Ozone Cell which is nearly bullet-proof, lasting much, much longer than a few years.

I would suggest trying to contact Pur Clean's (New Wave) vendor for ozone and oxygen concentrators to see if they might be able to help you.

washnvac

Reaction score
Dean, I just searched for this thread because my New Wave Ozonator is acting up and they said I need to replace the concentrator every two years at the cost of $2100+ . All it really needs are the canisters replaced from what they told me. Can this be done if I ship the Ozonator to you? Let me know.
Buzzie
I have air sep as-12 units. Fin-Tek in New Jersey can service them. I do not service mine until they quit. I just had 2 units done. I think it was around $500 each.

They sell and repair ozone units, too.

www.fin-tek.com