What's new

Car Wash Vs. Laundry

Jack

Reaction score
Has anyone seriously looked at the rate of return of a Laundry? Just trying to compare to my Car Washes.

Thanks;
Jack

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I had laundries first, but its been too long to remember any numbers. IMO you can make money with them, but you have more moving parts and labor that needs to be factored in.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Bill, I agree with you. I've owned a laundry and 2 carwashes. Made decent money in both ventures, but enjoy working the carwashes 10 to 1 over the laundry.

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
Mine are a single property next door to each other and on the same utility meters and both 20+ years old when I bought 3 years ago so it is hard for me to really tell which part of my investment is invested into which one. My laundry definately has more volume - partly because there is another 2 bay SS less than 2 miles away, but no other laundry for 80 miles.

Both had (still have some) deferred maintenance, but the carwash was worse. I spend more time cleaning the laundromat but it is easier to sling a mop than throw a shovel so I guess that part evens out especially considering the laundry brings in more money (in my market)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Laundromat $2=20mins
SS Carwash $2=3Mins

Enough said...

MEP001

Reaction score
Car wash: $2 for 3 minutes x 6 bays = $240/hr.
Laundromat: $2 for 20 minutes x 75 machines = $450/hr.

Enough said?

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
People still use laundro mats??? hmmm.
I don't anymore, but I used to, had no choice when I was renting a duplex with no hook-ups. I'd probably still use one on occasion if I needed to wash large comforters that wouldn't fit in a standard machine.

The laundromats I go by are still always busy.

RXCarWash

Reaction score
Very interesting debate. I thought I was the only one that is torn between the two. I live near a town of 5000 people with high number of renters, apt complexes and trailers. There is not a coin laudry facility within 7 miles. I thought it would be a great place to put one in there. The cost to put a 1300 sq/ft is about $175 using a National Chain to set it up.

I am not sure if I want to take the risk. It will be unattended, so there is no labor cost. I just think it might be worth it to spend another $100K and get a car wash that already has shown a positive cash flow. Don't you think?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I made money in both. usually if you do it half way right the risk reward ratio is in balance. Laundries usually need labor, but in a small town with cameras and alarms maybe not yet. I like car washes better because fewer moving parts and less labor.

ronald

Reaction score
I own a laundromat 1200s/feet with 60 machines it is doing very well.Looking at getting in the car wash business also.Labor is not bad have 1 cleaning lady I do all repairs myself.

ronald

Reaction score
One thing about laundromats is when it is raining we are still doing dirty laundry.
Car wash is sitting waiting on rain to stop.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Those preferring car washes must be in favorable climates. Seems to me that clothes need to be washed, regularly, regardless of the weather and how much $$ is left after a fill-up.

If the grass looks greener,........probably a lot more 'fertilizer' involved!

carwash1966

Reaction score
I am a car wash guy at heart... but if a SS bay or an IBA is down dinner plans are off... If a dryer or a washer is down you can put it out of order and the customer will use the machine next to it and you can fix it in the morning...

Our laundry facilities are much more predictable on the revenue side and are used mostly by people with their own washers and dryers in their homes. Either the laundry is too big for their equipment (rugs, king size comforters) or their own units are down...

It is worth a look. The gross profit is aboout the same as the car wash business...

kempape

Reaction score
in our area laundromats are taking a hit cause (almost)anyone can rent a washer and dryer by the month....they deliver to your apt or house....kemp childs

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Interesting perspective. Do you speak from the dubious pleasure of being involved in both car washing and laundromats, or just a interested observer?

Our area used to have limited municipal water and marginal wells, so there was a need. The water district has expanded but doesn't include sewer, so we're just sitting by and waiting. If the demand still exists when the conditions we may go that route. I'm sure there's a lot of interest along those lines so the first area that gets the sewer will get the laundry, but I believe it would dove-tail well with the wash.

I had a guy try to convince me that it could be done on reclaim - maybe by the gov't for the military but there was no way I was getting near it!

Thanks for your commments.

Mr. Clean

carwash1966

Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Clean & yes I am involved with both... I would certainly stay away from reclaim as well. Good luck with the water and sewer access. It is spendy; but it does keep the marginal competition out of both businesses...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about a mini laundry mat in a converted SS bay?

I know a guy who did this and it is out performing his carwash, which is one more SS bay plus a touchless IBA and 2 vacs.

Anyone have experience with this type setup?

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
I know a guy who did this and it is out performing his carwash, which is one more SS bay plus a touchless IBA and 2 vacs.
I also know someone who did this. The only reason the laundromat outperformed the wash was because the wash was crap. You have a touchless auto - do you really think a dozen washers and dryers could pull in more money if the auto performed well?