What's new

Dixmor Weep Mizer

washregal

Reaction score
Gotta ask this question again.. Tiz the season.

I am in SE Pennsylvania.. and feel that the factory setting is just too high.

Does anyone have a recomended setting for P1, P2, P3 and percentages that they are using successfuly around the area or country?

washnvac

Reaction score
I farted around with those once. Guess what?? Froze up. I guess it is a "guy" thing, can't leave well enough alone sometimes. I thought the same as you....too much water. But add the wind to that temp and it affects the freezing. If you do change them, make sure you have two sensors installed--one on each side of the building, so that you are always reading coldest temp from the shaded side.

Randy

Reaction score
I?m up in Washington State. It gets cold up here from time to time. I use the factory default settings now. The only time I?ve froze up was when I got to playing around with it. We dump a lot of water, more than I?d like too, but at least I haven?t froze up in the last couple of years. I have the Dixmor DX1000 Weepmizer programming and operating instructions on my computer if anyone would like a copy just ask and I?ll E-mail them to you.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm also in SE PA. I use at 37 by 32 to 25.
I have a weep water recycle system, so I prefer to put out more weep water than I probably need - I push out enough water to get a nice fan out of the gun in the bay, enough to tempt some "customers" to get a free wash. (They freak out at me when I smile and tell them its antifreeze though. :) Which technically it is - its only water, but I use it to prevent freezing. :) )

Also note that I never calibrated the temp on the mizer, so 37 degrees might really be 39 or 35. It's close though, so I never worried about it.

So - do I get freeze ups? If I get a bit of dirt in there somehow and it clogs a tip, yes. If it gets below 5 or 10 degrees ... but then I usually close & purge the lines, or run warm water weep for a night. I also have an electric heat tape in my trough that kicks in at 15 degrees, so that helps too.

DavidM

Reaction score
We use the default setting but we also have a small valve where the weep feeds into the line to the bay. We partially close the valve to limit the amount of water. We open each valve until the weep just begins to fan at the tip.
We are located in PA

bigleo48

Reaction score
Remember that the setting has as much to do with your probe location, how much water you weep and the water temperature.

BigLeo

dusovt

Reaction score
Curious, when you guys say you weep a "lot" more water than you would like - how much is that exactly? We still use flow meters for each brush, wand etc.. Depending on the temp we average around 5 gallons per hour, per line. Is this consistant with what the DIXMOR is using? How would you know if it is using less water?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Curious, when you guys say you weep a "lot" more water than you would like - how much is that exactly? We still use flow meters for each brush, wand etc.. Depending on the temp we average around 5 gallons per hour, per line. Is this consistant with what the DIXMOR is using? How would you know if it is using less water?
The weepmiser has nothing to do with the amount adjusted to weep. It just pulses the weep solenoids. As far as how much you should weep, for the guns to the point where it would fan a little if you depressed the trigger. The brush can be a less as the orifices are bigger.

Hope this helps...BigLeo

MEP001

Reaction score
I like to add needle valves to each bay and dial down the weep so it flows the same even if the trigger is pulled. This helps keep the tightwads from trying to wash with the weep, so they're not using more water than the weep needs. I swear the cab drivers have learned to come in for a "free wash" when it dips below 32?.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
The bay farthest from my mechanical room freezes first. I could not get enough water flow when the wind is howling. In your trigger you will see a path were the water flows past the ball in a channel cut in the seat. I used a dremmal tool to increase the flow. Yesterday morning I had a call, poor water pressure, water squirting in different directions. Some one had used the wand to dig the snow and ice from their wheel well, as I was replacing the tip, a truck pulled into my other bay and started pre washing with my weep water. Normally they are smart enough not to do this when my plow truck is parked out front. I still have not determined if he was brazen or just a hillbilly. Ah the sings of winter. Pete.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Plow Guy - When I see that happen, usually a couple times in the winter season (probably more when I'm not there) I go in and cut the weep water to that bay. That way they'll pay. However, if you incorporate this process, remember to turn the weep back on for that bay! I've learned that the hard way...

oleshep

Senior
Reaction score
I live in SW Pa. and have never changed the default settings on my Dixmor. In the 15 years that I have had them I have never had a frozen bay.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm in the KC area. One of my washes weeps cold water, and the other one I bought recently weeps hot water. I'm sure there are pros and cons to either way which are obvious. I was just wondering if I was the only one weeping cold or not.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Jeff,I think it was 7th grade science we took hot water in a ice cube tray and cold water in another, put then in the school freezer.It seems the molecules in the hot water are farther apart, thous thy solidified first.It is cheaper , obviously, too run cold , but it also may be better. Cheers , Pete

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Jeff,I think it was 7th grade science we took hot water in a ice cube tray and cold water in another, put then in the school freezer.It seems the molecules in the hot water are farther apart, thous thy solidified first.It is cheaper , obviously, too run cold , but it also may be better. Cheers , Pete

My experiment got different results. I know there have been claims to the contrary.

The freezer experiment is not good because the hot water may melt any frost in the freezer between the bottom of the tray and the freezer thereby eleiminating frost which serves as insulation between the freezer surface / coils and the cold water tray. Allowing that tray to freeze faster. Also I did my experiment outside when it was about -0- degrees which may have been much colder than most freezers.

Any way, there is probably some formula which will tell you that water flowing at a certain rate and starting at a certain temperature will drop it's temperature at a certain rate in relation to the surrounding temp.

An example would be: For our purposes the starting temp would be the temp when it leaves the trough which is presumably heated to some degree. Now it has to travel thru the Boom and hose. Lets say 20 feet as an example. Lets also use a drop of 2 degrees per foot per degree of outside temp below 32. If the cold water is 60 degrees and the outside temp is 22, the drop is 20 degrees (32-22=10x2) so you are OK becuse the weep exits the hose at 38 degrees where it meets the floor heat. What happens at 16 degrees? The temp drop is now 32 degrees which means your weep at 28 degrees is frozen hard.

Start with 100 degree water at the boom and at -2 the temp loss is 68 degrees which puts you at freezing.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Earl, Thank you for your reply ! In January then we get our sub -20 degree nights with a 40+ MPH wind I will definatly give it a go. Thanks Pete