What's new

ACW4 gives "car wash busy" error at random.

Reaction score
Hello,Helpful car wash people! We are having a problem with our ACW4.23 Auto Cashier. The "car wash busy" error keeps appearing at random. Sometimes it happens while inserting bills. I have changed the cycle relay. I determined that the relay is activated for 8 seconds at end of cycle. The signal is 120 volts. We run a Hydro Spray Classic with Power Spray D/H 3500 control cabinet. Also installed two new output cards into GE Fanuc Controller. Any thoughts? Thank-you! Chuck

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Do you have a spare acw controller to try? Sounds like the cycle relay input on the controller may be nutty. You might also check the wiring behind the passive/active switch or possibly the switch itself, but not very likely.

Reaction score
Hey,JG. Unfortunately no spare controller. Also, this cashier was upgraded from an ACW-II back in the day,so no passive/active switch either. D'ohh!. This issue has killed our automatic business! However, thank-you for responding. Chuck.

Randy

Reaction score
With an ACW-2 that is 25 years old the problem could be just about anything. I’d do what “JGinther” suggested and swap out the controller first. I might have one you can rent. How’s the wiring harness look? Has it ever been replaced in the last 25 years? Is all hacked up with splices and repairs? It could also be the wiring between the ACW and the Automatic computer.

Reaction score
The controller mounted on the door of the cashier is labeled ACW4.23 and was installed,I believe back in '03. That's when the new tower was put in anyway. Inside the cabinet there is a label on the back plane that says ACW-II. There is no passive/active switch. The wiring harness is "as installed", it has never been altered. Chuck.

Randy

Reaction score
What you’ve got is an old ACW-II ACW with a newer style ACW 4.23 controller. It’s fairly common to have a newer style ACW-4/5 controller in an old ACW-II. The ACW 4.23 controller was probably installed when the display on the old ACW-II died, that’s what usually happened to the double line controllers. I’d still try swapping out the controllers first. These things don’t last forever.

Reaction score
Thank-you, Randy. Is it still possible to get a new(er) ACW4/5 controller? Any other options? I can't reinvent the wheel here. Chuck.

Etowah