What's new

Answer to love bugs?

Etowah

APW

Reaction score
My IBA does a good job but will not remove all the love bugs. I don't have enough business to justify someone to prep cars before they enter the IBA. Would you put a bucket and brush before the entrance and label it prep bucket? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
The only way you're going to rid of love bugs is to scrub them. You could put a bucket out for the customer to prep but be ready to always have it. If you do something once they will expect it forever.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have the little windshield scrubber squeegee things at the entrance to all of my IBAs. I just fill the bucket with FB soap straight from the tank. I see people using it on their windshields often, but sometimes they use it for loosening the bugs on the fronts of their cars. I think this works well, because it's too inconvenient for them to scrub down large portions of their car, or their wheels. They only cost a little over $2 apiece so it's no big deal if someone carries one off. That being said, I replace more from being worn out, than ones that walk off.

Reds

Reaction score
Is anyone concerned that someone will complain that "your brush scratched my car". I have this complaint occasionally with my foam brush even though I have signage about rinsing brush first and use at your own risk. I would like to put out a windshield brush and bucket but am concerned about complaints and people using it on their wheels.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most FB soaps are fairly neutral pH. It would probably be better to try some alkaline presoak or shampoo in the prep bucket.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
we put a d.i.y. prep bucket out. a 55 gal barrel, filled 1/3 of the way and a wash brush on a pole. i got the idea from soapy and it is a good 'spiff' for customers. yes, they will expect it always so be sure it is right for you.

we also offer a free towel dry station at exit of carwash for all customers and it is a big hit w/customers. but same thing; they expect it to be always available (even though towel theft and laundering/restocking towels keep this a challenge for us).

jimbeaux

Reaction score
I put a 5 gallon bucket out front with an old foamy brush & handle with about a 1/2 cup of presoak and filled with water. After love bug season is over the bucket is removed and have never had a complaint. I do ocassionaly have a brush disappear but no big deal because they are old & worn anyway.