What's new

Anyone notice unitec's new customer support policy?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I don't know when, but it appears Unitec has changed their customer support policy. If you need immediate assistance, you are supposed to call your distributor. If you would like tech support to call you, you can "schedule" a phone call with them using their website.

IMO, Contacting my distributor is pretty much a waste of time. He's a nice guy but knows no more about the machine than I do. When I call tech support, most of the time I REALLY need tech support. Yes, I have tried rebooting, Yes, I have made sure that my phone line is operational, Yes, I have swapped out suspect parts etc.

I understand unitec's desire to cut down on end user tech support for stupid questions, but this concerns me a little. Is it as bad as it looks, or I'm I worrying about nothing? What are you guys doing when you have a problem?

pgrzes

Reaction score
Funny you bring this up. I just put in a new Portal Ti. My distributer is 600 miles away. He helped me a little but limited. I made my appointment at 8:30 for a 3:00 call. Support was unsure of every answer he tried to provide. Call ended due to time restraint things still unanswered. I couldnt order $15 worth of parts direct. I am not so sure I made the right decision?

Eric H

Reaction score
I had to call in yesterday for a software issue. I was immediately concerned when the voice prompt suggested I call my distributor for support. I knew it was a software issue that my distributor would not be able to help with, fortunately there was a service appointment available at 4:30 while I was calling at 4:05. Unitec customer support immediately identified my issue as a software problem and walked me thru updating to the latest version.
I am concerned that Unitec will go to a "Pay to Play" or Monthly service contract model. Unfortunately, that is NOT what I signed up for when I choose their product!

I am looking to buy another Sentinel this year and very likely 2 more additional units in early 2018. I spoke with several people at the Unitec booth at the Las Vegas show and I am concerned that they are not keeping up with DRB (their parent company), ICS, Washify or even Ingenuity (I didn't stop by the Hamilton booth for some reason).
I was asking specifically about Apple Pay and Google Wallet which they assured me would be out in several weeks. Indeed it appears that those payment methods are now available but it looks like it is only thru 1 specific processor.
Every other auto cashier seems to be able to issue gift cards directly from their units but Unitec said "that is NOT on our agenda for the next 12 months if ever". I am very apprehensive about buying 3 more units if Unitec does not show some initiative in keeping up with the competition!

bonanza1

Reaction score
Unitec tech has merged with DRB and tech support has gone to hell,I am running a express tunnel with both in it,I hate to spend $130,000 to upgrade but seriously thinking about ICS ,I liked DRB there support was good but noticed lately it has taking longer to get a support person on the phone,I had a tech person from Unitec on the phone yesterday morning and when your 30 min time. Slot is up it is goodbye I have another person waiting,you have to reschedule another time, I was at my wash until midnight last night trying to figure out a problem,frustrated, I think this is the start of the end for Unitec& DRB, there is other products that have much better support.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Don't expect any better support from ICS. They do the same thing except they just put you on a call back list and it could be 2 days before they call back. I guess this is the new normal.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I live just around the corner from DRB. This is from our local paper.

Last edited:

DavidM

Reaction score
That sounds like a terrible change in policy. I have always felt that Unitec didn't really want to deal with the end user. I rarely call their support number but the most recent interaction wasn't great. We don't use distributors often, we troubleshoot and solve our own issues and use tech support when we get stumped. Hopefully there are enough of us that Unitec reconsiders. I have three WashSelects that have been very solid.

DRB has very good support but it doesn't come cheap. Not justifiable for an inbay but great for a tunnel.
ICS support leaves a lot to be desired (at least that was my experience before we replaced their equipment 2 years ago.)

I am hoping that DRB helps Unitec with support rather than making it worse.

David

vinh

Reaction score
With the new $450 update charge to dial up modem, I am glad that I've decided to go with cryptopay. $1250 cost will hurt at the beginning but in long run I will save more and hopefully be less dependent on Unitec. Decided to use Verizon 4g modem for $20/month and getting rid of my telephone line that Att is charging me $80. I hate you Unitec and ATT for trying to rape me.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since conveyors have taken over the industry, the room at the top is a lot smaller. As for DRB, Ken Brott no longer works there (Linkedin shows ending date for employment). A lot of people considered Ken the brains of that outfit.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Since conveyors have taken over the industry, the room at the top is a lot smaller. As for DRB, Ken Brott no longer works there (Linkedin shows ending date for employment). A lot of people considered Ken the brains of that outfit.
Not only did Ken retire, they also lost Dwight Reed last year. Dwight is another really smart guy who was in charge of support.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, I didn't mean for it to turn into a bash thread. My wash selects are VERY reliable. And again I can understand unitec and other companies wanting to get their distributors involved for front line phone support calls. But Murphy's Law suggests my units will go down on a Friday afternoon and my distributor (who will not likely to be able to solve the problem anyway)will be busy or gone fishing. I'll be down for the weekend if I can't figure it out. The only solution I can see is keeping a LOT of parts to swap out on hand-fortunately I have those.

jenward

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
Unitec’s objective with launching the scheduling tool for site operators is to provide faster service to our Distributors, and dedicated time to support our Site Owners. After one week of run time, we can report that Distributor wait-time has decreased and we’re hearing positive feedback from many site owners about being able to schedule an appointment and know exactly when they’ll receive support.
Our goal is to leverage the tools and resources from DRB to improve our service to customers. If you would like to discuss this new program with a support team manager, please contact JJ DeGraff. If you are not being adequately supported by your Unitec Authorized Distributor, please contact your Unitec Regional Sales Manager.
Thank you,
Jen Ward
Unitec

sparkey

Reaction score
Calling your distributor is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Like they have a clue about someone elses system. Most of them hire people off the street with no carwash experience let alone any type of electronics background. Are they going to provide several weeks of comprehensive training to the distributors for free? Sounds like a cop out because they don't want to deal with the customer. I currently have Hamilton and from the sounds of it I will be staying with Hamilton. There is nothing more annoying then calling someone and getting the run around and a voice mail to someone who may or may not call you back. I normally hang up when I can't talk to a real person.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Had I known Unitec was going to do this I would have spent the extra $$ and purchased a Hamilton HTK. Hamiltons Cust. Serv. is excellent, and can usually always get assistance. Now a brand new Portal Ti and I get the new, you have to go online and make an appointment???? Oh yeah god forbid things dont get corrected in 30 min. TOO BAD!!! call gets ended. Make another appointment. They got hammered in Atlantic City with unhappy customers.

WikiWash

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
Unitec’s objective with launching the scheduling tool for site operators is to provide faster service to our Distributors, and dedicated time to support our Site Owners. After one week of run time, we can report that Distributor wait-time has decreased and we’re hearing positive feedback from many site owners about being able to schedule an appointment and know exactly when they’ll receive support.
Our goal is to leverage the tools and resources from DRB to improve our service to customers. If you would like to discuss this new program with a support team manager, please contact JJ DeGraff. If you are not being adequately supported by your Unitec Authorized Distributor, please contact your Unitec Regional Sales Manager.
Thank you,
Jen Ward
Unitec
That's a huge pile of BS. Before the merger any decent tech representative retired and every replacement I talked to was incompetent. I've been a Unitec customer for almost 20 years and I am do for 3 pay stations in the next year or two. I will be looking elsewhere.