What's new

Best Method To Remove Old Decal from Vacuum?

Etowah

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
I would like to remove some old decals from my vacuums. What is the best product to apply and technique to use?

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a heat gun and a razor blade to remove the bulk of the decal, then 3M Adhesive Cleaner to remove the residue. It dries slow enough that you can wet an area of the residue with the cleaner and it comes almost completely clean off with a razor with no effort.

Paint stripper works on some decals, mainly vinyl or Lexan, but it won't get through the silver Mylar ones very well.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Heat gun and razor. I have used turtle wax aerosol adhesive remover (available at advanced auto parts) with good results. Although I will mention the best thing to do is not let the labels get so old that they are brittle.

if the decal is not too brittle, pull OUT on it at a 90 degree angle, straight out from the surface it is stuck to. It will take most of the adhesive with it. I have no idea why, but noticed that during vendor decal removal.

Randy

Reaction score
Be careful when using a razor blade that you don’t scratch the stainless steel. We get a corner started and use brake cleaner, spraying it onto the back of the decal to break the glue as we slowly pull it off, then scrub off whatever glue is left behind with brake cleaner. If you’re working on a vending machine door, remove the door and lay it flat, it’s easier to work on when they are flat, I like to do the vending machine doors when it’s a real hot day, let the sun do most of the work. We have a couple extra ending machine doors that we swap out when the decal needs to be replaced. When you install the new decal use Windex on the item before putting the decal on then use a credit card to smooth out the decal and to remove any of the bubbles.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
All the above, but for any residual adhesive left behind, certainly try Goof Off! Works great!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I would try all the other suggestions before using razor blades. Try using plastic razor blades if you want to scrape the decal off. They aren't as effective as regular blades but much safer.

Stuart

Reaction score
I use Razor blades often but only in the areas that will be covered back up by the decal. I stop using the blade about 1" to 2"from the edge just in case I get a bit crazy with it. I don't like blade scrapes showing past the edge of the decal. I move blade with the grain of the steel, it seems to come off easier.
I also use along with the razor blade, Strypeze. From my Sherwin Williams store but you may be able to find at other places. It is a paste-just wipe on, let it work and scrape or wash off-if in the wash bay.

I have a 75 foot hose I hook up to a wash bay hose so I can use high pressure anywhere on the lot, roof for whatever.. Take precautions though-gloves, faceshield.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would try all the other suggestions before using razor blades. Try using plastic razor blades if you want to scrape the decal off. They aren't as effective as regular blades but much safer.
With some practice you can get proficient at removing decals without ever touching the stainless with a razor, then when using it to remove the adhesive with the 3M cleaner it requires so little pressure that there's really no risk of scratching it. I use a long-handle window scraper and just keep both hands on it, so there's no chance of harming myself.

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
I would like to remove some old decals from my vacuums. What is the best product to apply and technique to use?
Thanks for the great ideas, I did not think of the heat gun. I'll post again once I have given it a try.
Joe Dirt

Randy

Reaction score
I sometimes when I'm in a pinch I use a propane torch, when I use the torch you’ve got to move round pretty fast so you don’t burn the old decal.

mrfixit

Reaction score
It is quite a chore to remover the old full side vac decal; but it goes fairly smoothly when you have the right tools.

If found a heat gun on the inside of the machine heating the back works the best. Heat across the area and pull the decal slowly to prevent tearing it. Heat enough to pull it but not too much or the face will melt and the decal will rip easier. Razor blade or plastic scraper to help loosen and remove evenly. Ideally running it across behind the decal to evenly free the decal and try to keep it in one piece; if possible. Lol

The residual adhesive comes off easily with wd-40, or the likes, a scraper or razor, and a rag. .. The penetrants work better than goof off by far.

omgeewiz

Reaction score
Heat Gun and BRAKE FLUID, and PLASTIC paint scraper. goof off sucks and so do all of the Home Depot adhesive cleaners.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I just replaced all my vac decals over 15 years old. Had to use a rubber mallet and a paint scraper worked well for me though time consuming. They were brittle and cracked but some elbow grease and time worked wonders. My new decals make the vacs look brand new again

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I must admit slightly off topic I installed new cryptopay swipers on all my new decals / doors and was anxious doing so with the credit card chip supposedly replacing swipers soon but that's another thread.

Randy

Reaction score
I must admit slightly off topic I installed new cryptopay swipers on all my new decals / doors and was anxious doing so with the credit card chip supposedly replacing swipers soon but that's another thread.
I think you might be old and gray by the time you have to worry about replacing your swipers with a chip pin reader.

lilb93

Reaction score
Well the easy way to remove any decal is use a Commercial heat gun. If it is a painted surface low heat right on the decal. For stainless vacuums you can use high heat and remove the decal. For really old and brittle decals on stainless use a map gas torch, heat (actually burn the decal) use a plastic razor blade to remove the decals in strips. the glue will be left. Use Acetone on a rag and wet and use the plastic razor blade to remove the heavy glue. When you down to you cannot get anymore on the blade just keep swapping rags and wipe all the glue off.