What's new

Blue/Gray foot valves.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I'm glad to see this discussion. I've seen conflicting information about the BLUE and GRAY foot valves from various car wash suppliers, so I did a little on-line research... According to the website www.support.ascepco.com: The difference between EPDM and Viton seals is range. Viton can handle higher temperatures, whereas EPDM can handle lower temperatures. Viton is more resistant to chemicals and oils, but if acetones are present, choose EPDM.
Kleen-rite recommends BLUE foot valves (with Viton seals) for harsh chemicals (for white wall, butyl & alkalis). Item #IN250020. $8.43 each. While they recommend GRAY foot valves (with EPDM seals) for soap & wax. Item #IN250100. $6.31 each. The catalogs from Car Wash Superstore, Magic Wand and Windtrax says the opposite. When I purchased my carwash 13 years ago, I was advised by my local supplier to use the GRAY foot valves for everything (soap, wax, presoak & degreaser) Over the years, I have had problems with the foot valves NOT holding pressure (mainly in my soap barrel). A few years ago, I switched over to the BLUE foot valves, and I'm having the same problem. Very annoying!

MDrost1

Reaction score
Been having the same issues with the blue valves with my winter foam brush soap. There has to be a better design. I broke down and bought a bunch of different types from kr last night. Stainless, Dema etc. we will see how it goes.

MEP001

Reaction score
Every once in a while Hydro has a run of bad foot valves.

BBE

Reaction score
I use the Dema ones linked below. Other than one failed one in ~16 ( they've been in service much longer as well as while the wash was shut down for about a year) months out of about 20, they've been working well.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-12976-plastic-14-foot-valve-with-check-strainer.aspx
Same here. These are the most reliable that I have found. I gave up on the blue/gray foot valves. Blue...gray, didn't matter, they all failed way too early on me. I have some of these dema foot valves that have been in use for 5+ years.

washnvac

Reaction score
car_wash_guy-- thanks for that info. For that price ($2.60), I could see just changing those out yearly as pm. I end up changing the blue and/or grey every year or two anyhow from failures. That Dema unit certainly makes it more economical to do so.

copperglobe

Reaction score
Wondering to what purpose that fine mesh screen serves on those foot valves? Been using the gray valves for years and have removed the mesh from the valves with each application. In our chemical drums there isn't grit or "chunks" that would clog the hydrominder tips or the flaps of the foot valves. I removed the mesh years ago because chemical sludge would build up on the mesh preventing free flow. Since removing the mesh we don't have the problems nor have seen evidence of any clogs caused by something passing through the foot valves that the mesh would have prevented. Just wondering I guess...

MEP001

Reaction score
It's there to prevent grit that might plug the orifice/injector or cause the check valve to hang open.

I've never had an issue with the screens clogging with silt with the chemical I prefer, but I have seen chemicals that are pretty dirty.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You are taking an unnecessary risk by removing those screens. You have dodged a bullet thus far but you would be much better off checking on those screens periodically rather than remove them.

MEP001

Reaction score
You are taking an unnecessary risk by removing those screens. You have dodged a bullet thus far but you would be much better off checking on those screens periodically rather than remove them.
I agree, I forgot that I used to mix a powder and liquid tire cleaner together in a barrel, and no matter how careful I was to keep things clean and sealed I'd have to pop the screen out of the foot valve about every three mixes and clean paper fibers out of it.

MEP001

Reaction score
where do you get these?
That one is from Specialty Manufacturing. It's the same thing 2Biz linked except one barb is 3/8" with a smaller screen on the barb.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I ordered some of the Dema since they were so cheap. 2 of them were DOA! You could blow air through them. It gave me a chance to cut one apart to see how it worked. They seal using a spring, SS ball, and oring...I believe the blue/grey ones use some sort of flat washer. Need to cut into one of them to see how they work! I have plenty bad ones that I can operate on!

MEP001

Reaction score
The blue/gray Hydrominder ones have a flat disk with a cone molded into it that pops through a hole in the center of the cylinder. You can see the cone when you pop the screen off. There's no spring, it relies on gravity for the disk to lay flat and block the flow holes.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
OK...2 weeks ago I installed 3 new hydrominders on my TF tanks. The 506 hydrominders came with blue FV's so I installed them. Yesterday the FV on the red TF started leaking back. Today the blue did the same thing. I also put in all new buckets of TF...So that shouldn't be the issue. I've never had this much problem with the blue FV's failing this soon after installing...So I put in the white Dema one's mentioned in this thread. We'll see how long they last.

Whats up with the blue ones? Seems as though people are having a lot of issues with them.

Randy

Reaction score

Twodose

Reaction score

Twodose

Reaction score
I had a problem with economy check valves from KR, they were constantly separating where they were pressed together, I called KR and they said they got a bad batch from the manufacture and they replaced a dozen and it fixed the problem. Like Randy says should call if you having a problem, if no one calls and tells them they they won't know. Also I have always used the grey foot valves on everything with little problems, recently using the cheaper dema white CV and they seem to hold up as good if not better.

Last edited: