What's new

Breaking into a vacuum

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I don't want to give away too many details but I was very diisappointed to find out Thanksgiving morning how little effort it takes to break into the coin box on a JE Adams vac with a pin lock. If you have one, I strongly suggest you buy the optional security bar. I really think this should have been standard equipment.

Randy

Reaction score
We?ve got some J.E Adams Combo units. They pop the door open on those faster than a 5th grader can pop a pimp. I?ve got great pictures. They have to make them like that so they can sell them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Any vac with a pin lock can be opened up pretty easily, and it's even worse because the two manufacturers that used them only had a few different key numbers for many years. We changed out our Industrials to American lock drawers after someone had been "dipping" into them.

mac

Reaction score
The other thing disappointing about vacs is how easy it is to steal the whole thing. Most amateurs just use a regular stud anchor to mount them. Well it takes about 20 seconds to simply turn the nut off the bolt, cut the electrical wires, and you have about 50 bucks of stainless from the local scrap yard, plus the money in the box. Always at least mash the bolt head so the nut won't come off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I install a vac I always damagethe tops of the threads on the anchor. Sometimes I would damage the sides of the nuts as well. A buddy warned me to do this.

when i did the first one , about a week later a guy with a 27 foot truck got to close and snapped it off like it wasn't there. . It makes little difference if they want it.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
Don't buy just the security bar, as this just slows down the thief a little bit, as it is very easy to defeat the bar. I suggest buying the cover for the drawer, as JE Adams followed my suggestion on the covers, and now they added a piece of flat bar over the front of the cover so you can no longer use a sawzall to cut the bar.

mariumkelly

Reaction score
I have to agree with the recent surge of breaking into Car Wash coin vaults, it's just too much of a risk not to take on secured locks. I learned the hard way about the vulnerabilities of vacuums with pin locks. Investing in additional security measures like the optional security bar is a must to deter theft. Hope everybody has a good day.