What's new

Brush goes through windshield

briteauto

Reaction score
Yes - good thing there were no major injuries.

I read the article, perhaps I am picturing it incorrectly, but it is hard to imagine a verticle brush going through the windshield. I know there is some physical contact from a high side wheel or wraparound on the side edge of a windshield, but it seems hard to imagine. Actually, wraparounds should be spinning in the direction of vehicle travel, and I do not believe they would put any force on the windshield. Maybe a high side washer spinning in the opposing direction of vehicle travel could provide the force to do this, but it is hard to imagine.

randy64

Reaction score
I think the Thompson's only have one brush wash and it is a Ryko tunnel, so if the wrap around brush was spinning backwards or the air cylinder got stuck or a couple other things I won't bore you with, it could easily climb up the hood. Or it could have been driver error I guess I shouldn't be so quick to blame the machine.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Driver Error

Article said car was in drive. I speculate that the car took off into the wash, hit the brush pushed it horizontal to the floor where the weight of it would crack the windshield and damage the roof. The reason I say this is because I have seen it happen, more than once.:eek:

lag

Reaction score
The updated article ,after my first post says the car was in gear. totally drivers error. It even sounds as if they were just passing through the bay ,and not washing.

briteauto

Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of them going under the wraparound but that would make sense - at least as to how it could be a vertical brush.

Last edited:

randy64

Reaction score
I asked the tech that fixed the machine and he was told they drove in and backed up a couple of times before the brush went through the windshield and was pinned to the floorboard. He said it was very difficult to get the car out of the bay