What's new

Buying a mattress ?

mac

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have some good tips on buying a new mattress? Maybe the reason I've had poor luck is because I'm talking about mattresses on a car wash site, but I gotta start somewhere. The current one I have was the nicest one we found after driving around all day and laying horizontal in stores with people watching us. It seemed nice and comfy, but after sleeping on it for a few weeks, I woke up feeling like someone had smacked me with a baseball bat on the shoulder. Just how do you know that it will still be comfy months after you put out a grand ?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My wife has lots of back issues and I have a little trouble from time to time. We figured a Sleep Number was the ticket for us...it wasn't. That was five years ago and we are about ready to chuck it. Our last four trips to Vegas have had us staying at Treasure Island, where we really liked the beds. I'm a Vegas junkie and peruse the related forums. The TI mattresses get brought up quite often and usually in a good light. I have found out that they are made by Sealy, but to TI's specs. I haven't tried to find out if they have something nearly identical in their retail line and don't relish trying to find someone that would know. I have heard that TI will sell their mattresses through the gift shop and have them dropshipped, but haven't looked into that either.

It's a good thing we are competent car wash guys, because we suck at this shopping thing. You are getting advice from a car wash site and I'm talking about buying a mattress at a hotel gift shop.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I have had two back operations---sleep number helped. We have recently added "my pillow" pillows which really helped me--firm and not for everyone. Our sleep number bed has numerous vibration options which we rarely use. One night Mary accidently hit the wave button which starts vibration at your feet and continues up tp your head. While she was trying to find off button, a bat started strafing our bed--must have been in chimney and heard "wave" in action. He left when she found off button.

Ted

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
We have also been disappointed in the Sleep Number. I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for it only to find out we don't like it. Four Seasons may use the same mattresses as TI. I stayed at the one in Dallas and literally stripped the bed trying to find out how to buy one like it but I never did.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Having a broken back also, I liked my waterbed, very firm, but as many of you knew Rosi, she didn't like it, so I bought the firmest mattress, Sealy sold and it has been great. I can get you the numbers if you need.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I got tired of our mattress also, and got a Memory foam topper for it. I think it is 4" and got it on amazon cheap. It made my expensive crappy feeling mattress awesome. It forms to you really well, but it does reflect alot of heat, so the lady with hot flashes is sometimes annoyed by it. Sometime the problem lies in the pillow and not the mattress.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have a Bob-o-Pedic Memory foam mattress from Bob's Discount Furniture (a chain in the northeast), it is a temp-o-pedic knock-off. My brother in law had one and recommended it when i needed a new mattress. I was skeptical but my wife wanted it so that is what we got. I have recommended them to countless friends and neighbors and everyone loves them. They come in Firm and Plush but everyone that I know that has one prefers the firm. Like John stated above they do sleep warm but you get used to it.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
The best mattress I ever slept on was at the Venetian in Vegas. I looked into where they bought them but have since forgot. I think it was about two years ago while at the ICA. Worth a call!

IBFLYIN

Reaction score
In my hotel we have Serta Presidential pillow tops. The guests love them. They are made for the hotel industry and require a minimum order of 20 mattresses. Maybe Serta can match these numbers to something they manufacture for residential use?

Serta Mattress Company
Model: 641223-160
Prototype ID: M2

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Trigger pulled

Well, I decided to persue the TI mattress and it wasn't painful at all:). Evidently Sealy gets inquiries about them quite often. They told me right off the bat that it wasn't available through them and gave me the # to call for the TI gift shop. Called them and they switched me to the correct person who had all the answers. I chewed on it for a few days and just got off the phone after ordering it. They forward the order to Sealy, who then makes it and delivers it to my door. Should be here in a little over a month.:D

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, I decided to persue the TI mattress and it wasn't painful at all:). Evidently Sealy gets inquiries about them quite often. They told me right off the bat that it wasn't available through them and gave me the # to call for the TI gift shop. Called them and they switched me to the correct person who had all the answers. I chewed on it for a few days and just got off the phone after ordering it. They forward the order to Sealy, who then makes it and delivers it to my door. Should be here in a little over a month.:D
What did it run you?

MEP001

Reaction score
I meant the phone number.

That's a lot for a mattress, but if it will last 20-30 years it'd be worth it. The last one I bought was $600 and in barely five years it's already lost enough support that my back hurts every morning.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Sorry, the phone # is 866-384-0506. I talked to Cindy.

I know I could probably have found something close enough for a few hundred less, but I've already bought the wrong one once. My wife has had three spinal surgeries and has pretty much been banished to the twin bed in the back bedroom so she can be somewhat comfortable. At least she said that's why she goes back there :confused: Having been able to sleep on the exact mattress for a week was worth a bunch IMO.

pgrzes

Reaction score
If thats the same bed that the Borgata has in AC, they are the best I looked around also as I just bought a bed but for $3000I wasnt going there. Thats what the Borgata sells the bed for?? So $2200 is a good price. Theirs is a 800I Titanium Alloy Plush.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mac & others,

I am not sure on the mattress portion ... but having a bed that a person with a remote control can adjust the height of both the foot & the head has proven to be worthwhile for me ... in my humble opinion of course. Last fall, I was recuperating from a mysterious leg swelling where the circumference of my right calf was double of what it should have been based on the other leg. Several doctors told me to make sure that my two feet & legs were elevated. The Interventional Radiologist said getting a sample of the fluid could introduce an infection ... so we avoided the needle fluid extraction process. Randy Nix called me on the phone last fall during that potentially perilous time that I was somewhat bedridden. He sounded somewhat compassionate over the phone ... so I am assumed that he was.:eek:

It is pretty much for certain that some previous severe cramping caused some kind of a muscle tear that in turn caused the mysterious swelling because I had an OSMO patch kit (http://www.osmopatch.com/) mailed to me from Australia & the overnight patch process showed that a lot of blood was drawn into the patch every night for several nights in a row.

Long story short ... I am pretty sure that sleeping with my feet elevated has helped to lessen the calf cramping problems significantly based on the last 9 months or so of utilizing the feet & legs elevation during my precious beddy by time.

Trying as hard as I can not to cause anyone unnecessary stress & not allowing others to cause me too much unnecessary stress ... I think helps too!:)

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html