What's new

Can you issue refunds to cryptopay users?

slash007

Reaction score
Occasionally I have a customer that doesn't push the stop button and request a refund. I am using First Data to process (no other choice) and was wondering if there was a way to issue a cc refund? I spoke to them and they said no, I would have to call Cryptopay, but that doesn't make sense. Any other way to issue a cc refund or should I just stick with cash?

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Occasionally I have a customer that doesn't push the stop button and request a refund. I am using First Data to process (no other choice) and was wondering if there was a way to issue a cc refund? I spoke to them and they said no, I would have to call Cryptopay, but that doesn't make sense. Any other way to issue a cc refund or should I just stick with cash?
If you have good signage that tells them they must push the button to stop charges then I would not provide a refund more than once per customer. When I get things like this I take the information and send them a token or tokens and keep the information on file under their name. So in a case like this the question is how much do you refund them? If they did not push the button you really have no way of knowing how much time they really used. I would probably send them a short note with a couple of tokens and let them know you are sorry they had the issue and you are happy to give them the tokens while they learned how the system worked but there won't be any refunds after this time.

Just my two cents worth....next time they will either push the button or use cash.

slash007

Reaction score
If you have good signage that tells them they must push the button to stop charges then I would not provide a refund more than once per customer. When I get things like this I take the information and send them a token or tokens and keep the information on file under their name. So in a case like this the question is how much do you refund them? If they did not push the button you really have no way of knowing how much time they really used. I would probably send them a short note with a couple of tokens and let them know you are sorry they had the issue and you are happy to give them the tokens while they learned how the system worked but there won't be any refunds after this time.

Just my two cents worth....next time they will either push the button or use cash.

I have excellent signage and people just don't read. It is not a big problem as out of all the people that spend the max, very few call to complain. When they do, I explain that there is a clear sign and that I have no idea how much time they spent. Even if they knew, anyone could have pulled up after them and used the remaining time, so it is not fair to me to refund them, but as a courtesy I will give them a free wash the next time they stop by. I just had one nasty customer that wanted to dispute it, so I was going to do a partial refund on the card, but it doesn't seem that will work.

slash007

Reaction score
I just gave him cash, much easier. I was just checking to see if credit refund was even an option, but it isn't.

BBE

Reaction score
Our wash remote system lets up handle each transaction and refund the exact way we want. If I catch the transaction before it's batched, I can edit each transaction before the pre auth changes on their card. If I don't catch it in time, I can still change each transaction into whatever amount I want.

Personally, I like to be as flexible as possible for people, and I treat each instance on a case by case basis. The majority of the time, no one bothers to call about the 15 dollar charge on their card. If they do, I will review the transaction on film to have as much "ammo" as possible when I call them back. As mentioned, sometimes someone came in behind them and used the remainder of the time to wash their own car. And I make sure to mention this to them. Either way, I explain the situation so that they know how to use it properly in the future, and usually offer to refund half of it, as kind of a compromise to them.

In my experience, eating a few dollars every once in a while when a customer makes a mistake pays off in the long run.