What's new

CarCare 2011. Debating on Attending

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

Wonder if its worth going this year. Mind you that last year was a boondoggle with the wife...was at show for 2 or 3 hrs total.

So this year I'm wondering what you guys are going to see at the show? Anything new...groundbreaking or just same old stuff?

Big

soapy

Reaction score
Just talking to other operators and getting ideas makes it worth my time. I learn enough to pay for expense of being there. You never know what you might see.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I don't see where the ICA has posted it yet, but this year members get 2 free show passes.

Randy

Reaction score
We enjoy going to the ICA and WCA conventions in Las Vegas. We like seeing our old friends and making new ones, networking, having a nice dinner with friends etc. Do we see anything new or exciting at the show, you can never tell it's up to the individual, you get out of the convention what you put into it.

It's my understanding that the ICA is pulling out of Vegas and moving back to Chicago in 2013. Does anyone know this for sure?

I know the WCA is moving to San Diego this Fall.

We won't be going to Chicago or San Diego.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Chicago was my first show back in 1989, also attended in 1991. Being on the east coast, Chicago is closer and to me, the city was more enjoyable than Vegas can ever be. Would be a welcome change. The ICA used to go to Vegas and a different city every other year. I liked it better than always going to Vegas.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about it leaving Vegas. Before Mark Thorsby left his post (circa '07) at ICA he told me it would be in Vegas for the foreseeable future. From what I gathered from him, suitable venues every third year weren't as easy to come up with as we would expect. I love Vegas and we are usually bouncing off the walls by the time the show rolls around, so I hope it stays there forever.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I would not consider Chicago. Attendence will be way down if they move from Vegas - that is the case with other industry conventions as well.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I would not consider Chicago. Attendence will be way down if they move from Vegas - that is the case with other industry conventions as well.
Cost of plane fares could be an issue from North Dakota even though Chicago is closer.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It was my understanding that Vegas will be the permanent home of the ICA Show.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Don't shy away from Chicago, if indeed, it ends up there one of these years. I had similar reaction when it was held there in the past, then had an opportunity to spend some time there. What a great town; no glitz, but genuine. Good food, great blues. Can't wait to get back.

MC

captain cw

Reaction score
Vegas has always been hard pill for me to swallow. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or cheat on my wife, but I do love attending the trade show. Anywhere else would be a welcome site for me. I really enjoyed San Antonio a few years ago and I always love Orlando and Chicago. That being said, I can understand not leaving Vegas. Attendance is always higher there.
I'm also curious to see if any new things are coming down the pike. It seems that the manufactures are just holding on. I think that now is the time for new innovations to generate more revenue for the operator.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Vegas has always been hard pill for me to swallow. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or cheat on my wife, but I do love attending the trade show. Anywhere else would be a welcome site for me. I really enjoyed San Antonio a few years ago and I always love Orlando and Chicago. That being said, I can understand not leaving Vegas. Attendance is always higher there.
I'm also curious to see if any new things are coming down the pike. It seems that the manufactures are just holding on. I think that now is the time for new innovations to generate more revenue for the operator.
All this time I've been enjoying Vegas for all the wrong reasons. I don't want to do it the wrong way, so I guess I better take up drinking, smoking, gambling, and cheating on my wife.:)

captain cw

Reaction score
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I do like the restaurants and seeing friends I haven't seen in a while. It's just not such a good place for a poor Mormon boy to be... Didn't mean to sound judgmental. Sorry again.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm not a real fan of a Vegas, either. But it appears we are in the minority.

I really liked the San Antonio show, and I enjoy Orlando. SECWA is going to try to hold their iron show in Orlando for a few years in a row, so maybe I will get my fill of it.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Between me and the ICA, I won't be having a booth this year. There still will be a Forum party probably at Tony's.

buda

Reaction score
Attending tradeshows

A very successful friend of mine once said, that if you pick up one good idea from a meeting; seminar; book; video/audio tape or article it was worth the time and investment put into it.

It really comes down to your personal philosophy and your budget. But remember that budget is many times determined not by what you can afford, but your phillosphy.

Yes, ICA used to move all over the country because that was what the operators, who founded and drove the ICA wanted. And Gus Trantham being an operator and a wise leader, did as executive director.

However, ICA having a new, professional management company and with the costs of trade shows increasing daily it has become very difficult to move all over the country yearly and be able to negotiate good convention hall rates, good hotel rates, etc.

Plus, statistically, no matter what your personal preference might be, certain cities simply draw more attendance than other cities. And, Las Vegas is the winner for all industries. That city draws more attenance at trade shows than any other city in the country.

Further, since association revenues are driven by the trade show the associations have to be sensitive to the needs of the exhibitors and for many going to Orlando or New Orleans is very costly.

Las Vegas is a very friendly town, union-wise for exhibitors.

Plus a savy shopper can find an airfare and hotel package that is cheaper from say the East coast to Las Vegas cheaper than they can from the East Coast to say Chicago or New Orleans or Orlando.

It is my understanding that ICA will be in Las Vegas as many years as they can get the space and dates they need to meet the Expo timing in the Spring. When they can't they might move to another city such as Centrally located Chicago.

The WCA (Western Carwash Association) Expo, the largest regional expo in the industry, decided with ICA being in Las Vegas every year that it might be best to consider another location in the Western US area so they are going to San Deigo this year. It is really a great city for a trade show and for operators to bring their families much more to do there than one realizes and the weather is fantastic.

Keep in mind a trade show should not be just about checking out the equipment, but as much about the educational seminars and the networking you can do with other operators. Of course, if that is not of interest to you then it might not be a good thing for you to attend a trade show every year.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts from a person who has attended and participated well over 150 car wash trade shows in his tenure in the car wash industry.

Just some well intentioned thoughts

Bud ABraham