What's new

Conveyor speed??

CRHAMEL

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a local conveyor car wash that is having trouble with RCV style rollers breaking. They have had the same issues with our rollers as well as Sonnys...
The roller is breaking right at the welds leavng the box frame attached the the chain and the roller assmbly falling off. This place is running at 160-180 CPH. It seems like this is a super fast conveyor compaired to other locations
What do yo think.
Thank-You
Chris

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I would check the operation of the exit trap door assembly. That is where most of the stress is put on the rollers. Customers using their brake to put their car in drive also puts major stress on them also.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Is 160 to 180 cph line operating speed or output?

Chains always break at the weakest link. So, the welds must be defective or there are people involved who do not understand how to operate a conveyor.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a local conveyor car wash that is having trouble with RCV style rollers breaking. They have had the same issues with our rollers as well as Sonnys...
The roller is breaking right at the welds leavng the box frame attached the the chain and the roller assmbly falling off. This place is running at 160-180 CPH. It seems like this is a super fast conveyor compaired to other locations
What do yo think.
Thank-You
Chris
As one writer put it a car stopping on a trap door, exit or entrance when to roller needs to go up or down will put a lot of stess on everything. Cures at the exit end include a roll of ramp and a lip on the exit side of the door which makes the door go up slightly as the car tire hits it. Also, the wheel oin the exit door if it is that type needs to be aligned properly. Sometimes the door wheel works better with the axle mounted under the door instead of over.

For the entrance door you can use a roll on ramp to help keep cars from stopping on the door, a wheel detector eye (had one and it was a pain) that interrupts the roller up if a tire is in the wrong spot.

A roller up anti jam device as sold by Sonny's and others. This keeps the roller from slamming into the entrance door or forks slamming it into the edge of the conveyor.

I have also had guys crank up the pressure to high on the roller up forks which forces the roller against the door hard or the edge of the conveyor. It should be just enough to get the roller up so any resistance will only be met with as little impact as possible.

Next, visualy check the failure part for any obvious sign of wear. There could be something out of wack wearing that point allowing the failure. Tracking it down may require some lengthy inspection.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Chains always break at the weakest link. So, the welds must be defective or there are people involved who do not understand how to operate a conveyor.
Not neccessarily either. Had a piece of equipment once from a well known mfgr. Kep having issues. First the distributer said "Oh, you are not greasing it enough." It was 2 weeks old. Next problems were caused by supposedly greasing too much, then they said we had too much tension, then they said we had too little tension. Finaly the mfgr sent someone. They found either during install or at the factory a part was put in backward causing misalignment and repeated failures.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Your hydraulic pressure may be higher than needed too. Watch the pressure during a busy period. What is the most you see? Let's say it hits 800-1000psi. Now jam the conveyor with a pry bar or something. What is the pressure now? 2000psi or so? Turn it down to 1200psi (using the pressure relief valve) and there won't be as much power to snap your rollers. Just a thought.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I have had this problem before with Sonny's rollers on an N/S conveyor. After more than half of the rollers broke on a 120', I welded them all back together. I left them on the chain and stop each roller as it passed through the roller up area on the track. I dressed each one with a grinder and then welded them back together with an arc welder. I told sonny's and they acknowledged the problem and sent me all new replacements. My welds never broke so I still have all the new ones. I have no use for them so I will consider all offers......Part # CRCV6L3C188