What's new

cow licken salt blocks

SHINEY2

Reaction score
Ran across a 2-3 year old post where some were using salt blocks stacked in the brine tank for thier softener...

Wondering if that is still being done or if something negative resulted - thus telling me not to do it.

If it is still working for those who did it back then...THEN I'M ALL IN!

HATE buying - loading- unloading salt all the time...

Thanks.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tried salt licks and they seemed to dissipate much more quickly than pellets.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
My 2c: 50 lbs of NaCl is 50 lbs of NaCl whether its in crystals, pellets, or blocks. (Assuming you're not talking about mineral blocks, or other variations.) In my experience, they dissolve at the same rate as the pellets or crystals. Well... actually I should say that the Ive observed that a 50 lb block dissolves slower (lasts longer) than a 50 lb bag of pellets, I attribute it to the fact that there is less surface area exposed.

I still use the blocks - but since they are more expensive, I only use them when they are on sale, or when I'm going on vacation and dont want the help to have to worry about the softener. And I should also point out that I dont use just blocks - I do fill in around them with the bags of pellets to make sure I'm getting a saturated solution.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 2c: 50 lbs of NaCl is 50 lbs of NaCl whether its in crystals, pellets, or blocks. (Assuming you're not talking about mineral blocks, or other variations.) In my experience, they dissolve at the same rate as the pellets or crystals. Well... actually I should say that the Ive observed that a 50 lb block dissolves slower (lasts longer) than a 50 lb bag of pellets, I attribute it to the fact that there is less surface area exposed.

I still use the blocks - but since they are more expensive, I only use them when they are on sale, or when I'm going on vacation and dont want the help to have to worry about the softener. And I should also point out that I dont use just blocks - I do fill in around them with the bags of pellets to make sure I'm getting a saturated solution.
"we have enough smart. how about a fountain of money" :cool: