What's new

Cyptopay Functionality Gap - GIVING AWAY FREE WASHES

quackers

Reaction score
I've got 18 swipers installed thus far across SS, Vac's and now 1 automatic. While testing the unitec retrofit kit with swiper we uncovered a large gap in functionality. I'm hoping somebody already found this and figured out a resolution as I spoke to Tom at Cryptopay and the answer does not make me happy. The ACW swiper you get with the auto cashier retrofit kits it is programmed to attempt the pre-auth for 13 seconds. If it doesn't get a pre-auth one would think that it should "decline" AND NOT START THE WASH. We found it operates almost in the exact same manner it would when your internet is down. Basically the swiper approves the card, starts the wash and the customer gets the wash for FREEEEEEEE. The real kicker is Cryptopay reporting does not post the "declines" back so we can see how many cards were actually declined therefore you have no way of knowing you are giving away free washes. To test this out I used a normal debit card which works fine. Then I used that fake test card sent with the worldpay materials which has mag strips but I never actually called and activated that card with worldpay. The swiper "approved" the card as a valid card and then let the wash start. I called Cryptopay and had Tom log into our site to check what happened at the swiper head and he could see the regular debit card transactions were fine, approved but the fake card did show a "decline". What this means is anyone who pulls up to your automatic who has a valid card with a number and a expiration date the swiper will basically approve and allow the customer to wash. Currently unitech has the option to "require pre-auth" which keeps this from happening. The system actually has to reach your processor and get an approval pre-auth on the card before Unitech will start the wash. If you look in the "expanded" configuration section of your ACW swiper in the configuration of your site on the Cryptopay website you'll see a setting there online for "require approval" but it's grayed out and you can't change that setting. When I asked Tom at Cryptopay about turning that on the answer was this is for vending and the code is not done yet. Also, he confirmed they don't post the "decline" transactions back anywhere that US, the customer, could identify the volume of bad cards we've approved and given away free washes for on out automatics.
This is a problem anytime your internet is down of course too for any swipers in SS, Vac or Auto and is touted as one of the "GREAT" benefits of Cryptopay in that you can keep processing CC’s while your internet is down up to 80 transactions per swiper head. That is fantastic if NONE of your customers are ever over their debit card limit or are using a maxed out CC for every card that is actually bad it never gets declined until the internet is back up and the swipers try to "process" those transactions fully with the processor (First Data originally and now Worldpay). When the bad transactions are declined there is ZERO RECORD of this that we are able to identify how many free washes were given out.

IMHO this is a massive functionality gap that needs to be closed quickly. Test your equipment and if you can sneak free washes through like we can then call Cryptopay and complain until they get the code completely done for pre-auth required. Each operator needs the option to turn it on or off based on their situation. I for one would prefer the customer get declined anytime their card is not fully approved, whether that means it took too long to get to the processor and timed out or whether that means the internet is down, in either case I DO NOT want to start the equipment and give away a free wash. I sure as heck don’t want my automatic auto cashier to start the wash without a full pre-auth approval either. The customer can use cash in these scenarios the same way they always have.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Ok, you've made your point.

I've left this thread you started and deleted the other 9 times you posted the EXACT SAME THING!

Not the best way to get started out here.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
There may also be a problem on the acw that causes the customer to get charged twice in a very random occasion.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What is the percentage of cards that get / should get decined?

quackers

Reaction score
The only way you would know the % of declines you get regularly is if you had a way of tracking it before switching to cryptopay. For example with Unitec when a card gets declined it goes into the hot file and you can easily see how many. I would say it may depend on your local demographics too. We easily have 100-150/month on two automatics at 1 location. That doesn't include self service bays which we never had swipers on before we got cryptopay.

Per Tom at cryptopay who is a great guy and knows his stuff, they have been working on developing the pre-auth required for the vending application but it's not done yet. At a minimum if they would post back declines from within the head swipers so we could see at least how many there are that would be a start to track this problem. Tom can log into the Swipers and see declines at the head but we can't see them which is pretty crazy.

Last edited:

quackers

Reaction score
Here is an easy way to test your equipment. Call your bank and have them put a warn or hold on your debit card for 48 hours, go to a gas station or some place and try to use that card to verify it gets declined then test it on your swipers. I just did that and made a video of the process to show Dave and Tom at cryptopay.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm so glad I went with WashCard, I have another wash operator taking out the Cryptopay system he has so many issues with it as well as not having any accounting or flexibility with it especially with fleets.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Dang, that sucks. I was planning on getting this retrofit kit and now word might get out you can score free washes with an empty visa gift card.

MEP001

Reaction score
Dang, that sucks. I was planning on getting this retrofit kit and now word might get out you can score free washes with an empty visa gift card.
I know they'll try - every so often I review the report and I'll see five or six declines in a row with a card named "GIFT CARD."

MDrost1

Reaction score
I just went to my site. Tried my WorldPay setup card(I did not set it up, just like you). It would not allow washes. Tried it on my Auto cashier and SS system. It would not verify the card.

So, I am assuming you were off-line and not connected to the Internet. My system seems to not allow authorization. I am goin back this evening and will look into this again.

WorldPay posts my declines. Tough to manage two web sites though.

MDrost1

Reaction score
Was back at the wash this evening. Swiped with the "WorldPay Card". Received "Try Swiping Card Again". It did not approve the card. No free washes were dispensed.

MDrost1

Reaction score
Anybody else having this issue? Interested as I am on the path to going whole hog in the crypto system. I really like it thus far.

bwat

Reaction score
Double Charges

There may also be a problem on the acw that causes the customer to get charged twice in a very random occasion.
I get double charges randomly with my new CryptoPay system. In the two years I have owned this car wash my Hamilton card reader didnt allow a customer to get charged twice. CryptoPay reviewed all the charges sense I installed it said I am not getting very many, and that I need to educate my customers on how to use the system - like I can stand there and show my customers how to swipe their card....they also recommended I increase my entrance time allowance and not let the Hamilton controller allow stacking of washes. Now I find on here that it can allow free washes - needless to say I am very disappointed in this system.

Randy

Reaction score
I did some research into this problem and it’s not really a problem. It’s actually to your benefit. I took a couple of used up gift cards and a closed account debit card to a couple of sites. I swiped both cards and both cards did not work, NO FREE WASHES! All it said on the display was “Verifying credit” and nothing happened. In a little more digging I found that if you lose your internet connection the Cryptopay system will continue to accept credit cards, the credit cards will not be verified until the internet connection has been restored. This way if you should lose your internet connection on a busy weekend you will still be able to accept credit cards, the chances of someone figuring that they can get a free wash are pretty small compared to the amount of lost revenue from not being able to accept credit cards.

Etowah

MDrost1

Reaction score
Yeah, I found that interesting. I am a newbie...but definitely not complaining. I like Cpay.

As a matter of fact I am very interested in the new Fleet program they are unveiling, very slowly.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
People complaining on this thread about Cryptopay are all newbies on this forum? What does this mean?
Are you suggesting:
Fake posts by a competitor?
Newbies are not the sharpest knives in the drawer?
Something else?

cdreed06

Reaction score
People complaining on this thread about Cryptopay are all newbies on this forum? What does this mean?
That was what I was thinking. Interesting. I have not had any issues with the Cryptopay. In fact, I did have a customer who called complaining that my wash wasn't working. I went there and talked with the customer and turns out she was using a debit card with no money left in the account. So no it didn't give any free wash. Tom at Cryptopay is awesome by the way. LOL

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Are you suggesting:
Fake posts by a competitor?
Newbies are not the sharpest knives in the drawer?
Something else?
My take on it was he finally had something he was passionate enough about to bother posting. I don't have Crypto Pay (yet) and appreciate his experience.

quackers

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update out here for folks who've found this issue. There was more detail on this thread but I can't seem to find it any longer on the site.

This thread is located at:
http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?15204-WS2-with-cryptopay&goto=newpost

In any case we finally have developed a solution working with cryptopay to operate with pre-auth required. Yes, this means if internet is down you can't use credit cards but that is very rare for our internet service provider. You have to use 2 coordinators at this time though if you have a lot of traffic (autos & ss using swipers most likely). The negatives or trade off's are each side or coordinator will pre-auth separately and the transactions do not "batch" out together increasing overall ticket total if you have customers who use SS, then Auto, and a vac in 1 trip to the wash so that is kind of a bummer. For us, we're living with that for now until a better solution can be designed. It's better than allowing washes to start before a card has actually been authorized though for us. Good luck!