What's new

Digital Street Sign

washme1

Reaction score
I am considering new plastic panels and a scrolling digital sign to update the tired street sign I currently have. They were quite expensive the last time I looked into them. However, it would allow me to promote several features my competitors do not offer. I particularly want to market our "heated SS bays" in the winter since we have installed Airlift Poly doors to enclose bays. Other items, bonus time, hand held air dryers, hog hair foam brushes, special occasion discounts on automatic washes.

Does anyone have experience with these? Did it boost sales? Have there been any issues? Would you do it again?

bigleo48

Reaction score
I am considering new plastic panels and a scrolling digital sign to update the tired street sign I currently have. They were quite expensive the last time I looked into them. However, it would allow me to promote several features my competitors do not offer. I particularly want to market our "heated SS bays" in the winter since we have installed Airlift Poly doors to enclose bays. Other items, bonus time, hand held air dryers, hog hair foam brushes, special occasion discounts on automatic washes.

Does anyone have experience with these? Did it boost sales? Have there been any issues? Would you do it again?
Two things come up when considering one of these signs. First, the cost...they are expensive. Second, city approval. Most municipalities are not too crazy about these signs as they feel they are a distraction to drivers.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Not only are they extremely expensive ($25,000 and up), you will ultimately only advertise maybe 5-10 of the same "sayings" over and over again.

You may be better off having a sign company make you professional looking panels that you could hang over you existing sign with the sayings / promotions you want, and change them every week.

If your sign is backlit, you could do what most Wal-Mart's and Sam's Clubs do and re light the sign with a fluorescent spotlight from the top. I think they figured out that a back lit sign costs much more to make, hang, and maintain than a flat sign with spotlights from above costs.

All of these things would never come close to the $25,000 plus dollars it would cost for the digital sign.

Just a thought .............

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a 4x8 full color digital reader board for his business. He says it is the best advertising money he has ever spent. He gets more leads from that sign in one week than he got from months worth of traditional advertising. I am hoping to replace my old 4x8 reader board with one of these soon. Watchfire Signs

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Depending on your location and drive-by traffic, a video sign may be your best advertising investment... as long as you optimize your usage of the sign's potential. Simple reader-boards are fine if you match them up with a time & temp sign.

But the ultimate is either a rotational (changeable carousel) photo sign... or for maximum impact, a video display screen. Powerful visual impact captures attention and allows photos to tell story... backed up with short copy snippet. It is essentially a video billboard that proves your only limitation is your imagination. $25K would be cheap, if you capitalize on its impact. And it's able to show a micro-commercial to traffic stopped at an intersection or pedestrian who also drive. In a key location, you'd probably pay for it in one holiday season! And it's always selling 24/7/365. It would be cheap at 2-3 times the price!

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I bought a 4x8 Daktronics back in 2008. Just made my last $376 monthly lease payment this month. I attribute the sign to a lot of my wash's success. It faces a McDonalds's drive thru and is only one side. All in, I think it cost around $15k, I did most of the metal pole work and install myself. It forces you to at least do something as far as your marketing and also makes you part of the community. I will enjoy it even more now that it is paid for.