What's new

Drilling in concrete floor and floor heat tubes and infrared cameras

copperglobe

Reaction score
Hello,

I've read on here where you can use an infrared camera of some sort to find the heating tubes/coils in a heated floor at a wash to make sure you miss when drilling holes in the concrete. Has anyone actually used this method and been successful? And if so what type of camera was used. Thanks

Jerry

Reaction score
Call Chris at Car Wash Boilers(google, I don’t have the number handy) and he can tell you exactly what to use and where to get one. I think they are out of Ohio. We thought we had a leak years ago and he suggested using the infrared camera.

bert79

Reaction score
Infrared is probably the cheaper way to go but I'll tell you my experience just so you have more information. We are refurbishing a 3+1 site in Michigan and had to completely gut the equipment room. So during this process we had no boiler or circulator pump or gas for that matter. In order to put doors on the automatic bay we initially thought we were going to have to put footings into the floor for the block needed to close in for the doors. We had to locate the floor heat tubing to make sure we wouldn't hit them with the footings. We had a company come in and locate the tubing using radar. This seemed to be a great way of finding them. He could even tell us approximately how deep they were in the concrete. The cost for this was $375 and he drew chalk lines (indicating where the tubes were located) on the floor and sprayed them with a clear coat so they wouldn't wash away.

Last edited:

steve569

Reaction score
You can buy a camera for your smartphone for around $200 and download an app that will do infrared. It’s called Seek . Works pretty good for the price..

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
You can get an infrared thermometer from Harbor Freight for about 20 bucks. It gets the job done.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sure an infrared thermometer would do the job, it would just take some time.