What's new

Email from customer

lag

Reaction score
Been one of those weeks. Received the following email via our contact page.

Comments: I got my brother's car washed last Saturday and it left some sticky spots on my windshield and hood. I tried a couple things to get them off and ended up using some alcohol which cut right through it and removed it on the windshield like a charm, However, when I used the alcohol on the hood, it also removed some of the wax, shine, varnish, something on the car that made it look dull. Needless to say, I'm extremely upset about this. I had to give the car back to my brother in less than pristine condition. I'm not sure yet what they are going to have to do to get it fixed but I do think you are responsible for the bill.

I guess we will have to remove the sticky spot pass :)

jprb

Reaction score
I would return an email stating that you had no other complaints of "sticky spots", and found nothing malfunctioning, leaking, etc., in the wash. Since he removed the "spots" himself, you have know way of knowing what they were or where they came from. Also, since he removed them himself, he would be responsible for the damamge to the car. Many times, a car wash can reveal things that were not visible before it was clean.

Just a thought!

Good Luck!
JPRB

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, I'd ignore the email, unless contacted by him again, then I would tell him to turn it into his insurance company and your company will work with his company. Obviously a retard.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Tell him "It's tree sap retard, and the last you checked that was not an option on your wash cycle!" LOL

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Are they regular customers or transient? Suggest that it was sap (because it sure sounds like it was) and ask them to recall when it was parked beneath a tree. I would also inform them that the issue should have been brought to your attention BEFORE they tackled it thelmselves. As the owner, ten minutes with some rubbing alcohol and a quality hand wax solving the problem could have garnered immense good will and a loyal, vocal customer.
MC

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To me this exemplfies 2 things:

1. As carwash owners, we are subject to all types of wild claims. "your wash left residue on my car!", which is really anything from tree sap to road tar to cement,ETC. We just have to deal with these issues as best we can. ***Usually involves several deep breaths!

2. Society's "Not MY fault!" mantality. Many folks, unfortunately, look to blame anyone but themselves when THEY cause a problem, whether directly or indirectly. If you park under a pine tree and sap drips on your car, you have indirectly caused a problem!

I for one wish people in general would be a little more responsible and forthright and quit looking to immediately blame others when they themselves screw up. I am, of course, including myself in this, as I am only human and I've done this too.:eek:

lag

Reaction score
I should have included my response in the OP. It was simply to contact me to discuss this matter further. She has yet to call. I respond to all emails from customers. You guys are right she is fishing.

I posted the email under strange , funny , and stupid customers because it is all 3.

We all get unfounded claims. I have never had someone let us know they did the damage, but the local car wash should pay.

I guess I thought the same as waxman. She is just looking for someone or someplace to blame.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I would tell her that the shiny spots created by the alcohol can be removed with an orbital grinder.

I would also pretend that you accidently included in the e-mail to her, a link to this page so that she can see how truly stupid the world thinks she is.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
I would tell her that the shiny spots created by the alcohol can be removed with an orbital grinder.
With 20-grit sandpaper?

lag

Reaction score
I would also pretend that you accidently included in the e-mail to her, a link to this page so that she can see how truly stupid the world thinks she is.
We have not had any more contact from her..I do like this idea though:p