What's new

Ethernet intercom system anyone?

SHINEY2

Reaction score
Have any of you out there put in a long range intercom system that enables you to speak in your bays from home or other places? If so, can you post the info here.

Upon searching the web it appears there are packages available. Right now while watch my cameras it sure would be nice to give instruction to the customer...such as please exit bay to detail your vehicle so the car waiting wash!

PEI

Reaction score
You may want to check your cameras. There are several on the market that already have this ability and just require a good speaker.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Dvr

Most DVR's for camera systems can do this. But, to be effective at this you would have to sit there, in front of your computer, watching cameras. There are probably more productive ways to spend time?

When I had similar thoughts, I considered putting overhead fire sprinklers in the bays that are connected to a relay. Better yet, use an old broken hose hooked to a normally closed relay. When you want a customer to move, just remotely open the relay and watch the action!

Reaction score
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

I would love to do that to the morons that wash the screws out of the beds of their trucks!!!!!!!!!! Someone told me it is illegal to listen or talk to a system like that.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have kind of been doing this for years and have posted about this before.

What I do is use a PC at the wash (the DVR currently), plug the audio output to an old amp and some cheap outdoor speakers in the bays. It cost about $100.

I then recorded messages for most situations (loitering, fixing cars, dumping, etc). I prefer a pre-recorded message as it says exactly what and how I want things to be said. You need to be careful not to **** off good customers. For example you may get a person topping up their oil and then eventually washing. They could also be a regular. I can also use my phone or PC to create a special message, transfer to the PC and play it. Takes a couple of minutes.

Then I use remote software to control the DVR PC. There are a few brands, like PC Anywhere or VNC.

So, if I need to send a message, I log into the DVR, unmute the speakers, then double click on a message to play. It has saved me many trips to the wash and greatly reduced these types of problems.

Big

pitzerwm

Reaction score
What is illegal is to listen in on a conversation when that party/ies don't know about it. If you are talking to them then they know that you can hear them.

Reaction score
I honestly wanted to listen in the equipment room! compressor running etc. but bigleo48 I am running a black box in one location that I monitor over the internet which is running windows vista, so if I download VNC I can log into that computer and access it like that? Can you share with us how you talk over it or does the message have to be recorded on the remote computer.