What's new

Fix a lock ideas?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Apparently someone tried to use something to jimmy my lock open on my faceplate. Fortunately they were unsuccessful, but left me in a difficult situation with my lock. See how the keyed part of the lock is turned? It's just enough that I cannot get my key wiggled in to straighten it out so I can get it open. Any ideas on how to either turn it straight? Or do I just need to take a tool and knock off the lock or drill it out?

View attachment 668

Randy

Reaction score
I just love amateurs!! What you’re going to have to do is get the inter notch lined up with the outer notch. If you’ve got another/spare key grind off the outer notch and try to line up the notches or a real small pair of needle nose pliers will work some times. Try to turn the inner lock to line up the notches. I won’t tell how to get the lock open on the open forum.

waterway

Reaction score
I've had that happen a few times. I take a vice grip clamp it on the edge of the key (to the notch piece that is hanging off the circle). Move it back and fourth till the piece falls off then you can just slide it right into the lock and turn it which ever way you need.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Got lots of round keys where the srubs have been ground off:(

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. If it doesn't woke Randy, I'll let you know so you can PM or email me.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you need to drill it, just go straight through the center with a 5/16" bit. When you get through, the tab will just fall off inside.