What's new

Friend Robbed/Injured at Car Wash

Red Baron

Reaction score
Getting this e-mail this morning from one of my former karate students floored me. I had no idea he'd been injured in a robbery attempt at a car wash.

Eli Kendrick was one of my most gifted, hardest working, and most likeable students at my dojo. I am truly humbled by his e-mail. His e-mail follows:

Tim"...lol..sounds strange. I am doing well! Yes my life has been a little crazy here and there but Im doing great.

I work for the federal govt full time, reserve Marine (active duty for 13 years), and I am an auxiliary police officer for the city of Va Beach (4 years fully sworn). That make sense??

I do not have any injuries to me or my legs. However i was robbed at gun point while washing my car on Dec 21 2008. I fought back resulting in torn ligaments in my rt hand. I took the gun after a struggle and fired a shot..missing. I chased him and then had to fight him and his twin brother. I knocked one out (gun malfunctioned or I would have fired more shots earlier in this whole fight..I literally did a ridge hand to his face with the 9mm in my hand) fought the other until I knocked him down. Then i was able to retrieve my cell phone and call 911. They both ran...the kid I knocked out was bleeding from his face pretty bad so he couldnt run fast or well. The other one ran a different direction. The police arrived and me and a buddy cuffed one kid. K9 went after the other, caught him too.

Thats the short story! Google Eli Kendrick car wash robbed off duty police Va Beach officer...those key words will get you some returns on it!

Tim, your training provided has stuck with me. I have learned all kinds of techniques and styles since the mid 90s. What you taught me has endured and assisted me with the other things I learned as well. Made me better...and honestly, it helped save my life.

Thank you Mr. Adams. You didnt know how much of a part you would play in someones life, but in mine you ingrained a way of mind and simple techniques that helped make me what i am today.

Miss ya and you are thought of often! Your story is one Ive shared often! I am inspired by you sir!

Eli

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Jesus, obviously he was lucky and your training probably saved his life. What do most of us without the training and experiences can expect. Buy a gun and practice, practice at the range.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Jesus, obviously he was lucky and your training probably saved his life. What do most of us without the training and experiences can expect. Buy a gun and practice, practice at the range.
I'm not surprised about it; I knew Eli was was going to do things in his life. He had that quiet spirit that told me he would accomplish a lot. Oh, and he had a mean sidekick too.

My former student, front row center:
http://www.vachiefs.org/index.php/news/item/2009_valor_awards/

Last edited: