What's new

GE front load washer water valve.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had a problem with my well, and sucked sand into everything downstream. I've got everything pretty much cleaned out, but my washer has a trickle of water entering constantly, even when not in use. No doubt, the fill solenoids are full of sand. Before I jump into this thing, I'm wondering if the valve is serviceable. I found pictures of the valve online and don't see any screws holding it together, but only see it from one angle. Google searching isn't much help, only telling me how to replace it, which I don't mind doing, but I don't have one nearby. Does anyone know if I can open it up and clean it out?

Model# - GFW550SSN2WW
Valve part# - WH23X29538

washnshine

Reaction score
I don’t have that model washer, but when my solenoid went last year, it was best just to replace it. Once I got it out, I saw it was not very robust and I probably couldn’t have done much with it anyway. There are part distributors that can next day you pretty much anything for any appliance if your need it fast.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the washer but remember you asking us about wells because you never lived with one. Most of us that responded said don't worry, problems rarely occur but as luck would have it you had issues.😬 Consider installing a large whole house filter. Hopefully you kept some plumbing tools and didn't sell them with your washes.

Randy

Reaction score
I had a problem with my well, and sucked sand into everything downstream. I've got everything pretty much cleaned out, but my washer has a trickle of water entering constantly, even when not in use. No doubt, the fill solenoids are full of sand. Before I jump into this thing, I'm wondering if the valve is serviceable. I found pictures of the valve online and don't see any screws holding it together, but only see it from one angle. Google searching isn't much help, only telling me how to replace it, which I don't mind doing, but I don't have one nearby. Does anyone know if I can open it up and clean it out?

Model# - GFW550SSN2WW
Valve part# - WH23X29538
I looked at a couple GE fill solenoid valves on line and they don't appear to be serviceable. For $52 I'd replace it or you could try back feeding/flushing it with water, the solenoids are 110 volt. It probably would hurt to install a whole house filter coming off your pressure tank.

Last edited:

Keno

Reaction score
I get a lot of appliance parts from appliancepartspros.com - usually delivered in 2 days and competitive prices on OEM parts. Most of those solenoids are not serviceable as everyone else has said. They are usually permanently closed at the factory.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I needed to know. I have no problem replacing it, I just don’t want to tear into it without one on hand. If it was serviceable, I would give it a shot. I guess I’ll get one on the way. Can anyone lend me 50 bucks?

Randy

Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I needed to know. I have no problem replacing it, I just don’t want to tear into it without one on hand. If it was serviceable, I would give it a shot. I guess I’ll get one on the way. Can anyone lend me 50 bucks?
Buy a new one and I'll come over and install it for you..

washnshine

Reaction score
You can borrow my washing machine until you get your solenoid. 😆