What's new

Grtting rid of WW touch free best decision I ever made as a CW owner.

Reaction score
I had a WW 1.0. Nothing but mysterious problems from day 1 that added up to huge repair/service bills. I finally decided to rip it out and replace it with a K.I.S.S. unit. Now I have very few repair needs, happier customers and the unit I replaced it with is so simple that I can make most repairs myself with parts found locally, saving me tons of repair $. Many car wash equipment manufacturers are loosing sight of the fact that car wash operators need to make money too and that many of us have bank notes to pay every month. Those who realize that fact and are eager to make sure we are making money will be the only ones to survive this "whatever it is we are in US economy".

Good luck to you all!!!!!

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. Can't imagine what is a simple unit, for the cost of replacing an IBA.

kentadel

Reaction score
I replaced an older touch-free unit with an X-Stream Touchless unit, doing the install myself. I've been an owner/operator in the business for twenty years, both touchless and soft-touch, and feel that I have finally found a unit with a simple design and great cleaning. Time will tell, as I am only a few months in operation with this unit, but my customers' cars are getting clean and wash numbers are way up at this location. This is the first time I can have a really dirty car pull up to the automatic and be able to safely say to the driver that we can get their car clean.

washtubman

Reaction score
I know what the acronym stands for, just thought maybe it was also a brand of equipment. So what did you replace it with?

Reaction score
I know what the acronym stands for, just thought maybe it was also a brand of equipment. So what did you replace it with?
I replaced it with an Autec AES 260. It cleans so much better that the touch free and is hydraulically (water based hydraulic fluid) driven. Which means the end of electrical ghost chasing............not to mention smaller water, sewer and electric bills.......also got some great financing through the local bank...15% down 10 year note variable interest....right now at 6% with a ceiling of 9%. It was the new SBA 7a Express loan The water sewer and electrical savings on a monthly basis will pay for about half of the monthly payment and hopefully the increased business......gas prices notwithstanding.....will pay for the rest.

Reaction score
I'll have to admit our D&S 5000 has been a lot less trouble over the years then the JC 2.0!!! But it doesnt do as much! I dont know what the trade off is for (touchless auto's).

Reaction score
I replaced it with an Autec AES 260. It cleans so much better that the touch free and is hydraulically (water based hydraulic fluid) driven. Which means the end of electrical ghost chasing............not to mention smaller water, sewer and electric bills.......also got some great financing through the local bank...15% down 10 year note variable interest....right now at 6% with a ceiling of 9%. It was the new SBA 7a Express loan The water sewer and electrical savings on a monthly basis will pay for about half of the monthly payment and hopefully the increased business......gas prices notwithstanding.....will pay for the rest.
Are you an Autec dealer?????????

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, If you think a first generation wizard is complicated, try working on a 2.0. :)

And yes, I believe on average most friction units are going to clean better than a touch free.

Having said that, My units have been for the most part reliable with minimal downtime. To make one simpler is going to make one clean less effective, IMO. I've seen a wizard with over 200K cars still kicking, with the owner having no intention of replacing it soon. I haven't seen another touch free I'd prefer over a wizard.

Reaction score
Well, If you think a first generation wizard is complicated, try working on a 2.0. :)

And yes, I believe on average most friction units are going to clean better than a touch free.

Having said that, My units have been for the most part reliable with minimal downtime. To make one simpler is going to make one clean less effective, IMO. I've seen a wizard with over 200K cars still kicking, with the owner having no intention of replacing it soon. I haven't seen another touch free I'd prefer over a wizard.
I am glad to hear that. You are the first person whom I have ever heard speak that highly of a water wizard. I am glad your experience has been a good one. I bought our wash used and the prior owners maintenance (or lack thereof) probably had much to do with my opinion. However, It was later compounded with the elevated prices of replacement parts and the attitude of many of the folks with whom I have delt with at Coleman. Not bad mouthing them......just relaying my experiences. I am glad you have had a good experience with the equipment though. I do have to disagree with you statement, "to make one simpler is going to make one clean less effective" I have a 1983 specialty equipment futura SSA at another location....it is the most simple machine I have ever seen and it is still running with no problems and cleans as good or better that the Coleman did. And in the 8 years I have owned it I have spent about 800 dollars in repair and maintenance. Compared to about 30K on my wizard in 3 years.

Cool discussion though....good for other owners to see various experiences form other owners.....good luck and continued success with your current washes!

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I also have 2 W/W and very happy with them, they do require some maintenance on them but learning how to do the repairs myself has been a real money saver.In seven years and over 90,00 washes on each I have only one customer say they were not satified with the cleaning it did, and he got his money back.This is not to say they have been trouble free but I don't know of any touchfree washes that are.
You say you spent 30K on your wash in 3 years would you been kind enough to let other W/W owners know what type of problems you that cost that much.

Reds

Reaction score
I also have 2 WW 2.0's and find them to be very reliable. Yes I have repairs. But that is to be expected with any piece of equipment with all those motors, switches, solenoids, hoses, etc. I am located in a rural town by an interstate exit. We have a lot of dirt roads and customers also have a lot of road film from using the interstate. I rarely get compaints about it not cleaning cars. As a matter of fact I get a lot of compliments about how they clean. My first WW2.0 was submerged for 2 days up to the top of the scrolling sign during a flood in 2006. Pump stand is elevated but all the motors, etc. were underwater too. And I still have not spent anywhere near 30k on getting it back up and running and maintenance since the flood. I maintain my equipment well and do most of my own repairs with the help (troubleshooting) of my distributor. I would definitely buy one again.

Reaction score
I have 2.0 and the main trouble and expense is the motors, drive, osc, wheel brush, I dont think baldor motor/gearboxes are good as they should be!!!!

Reds

Reaction score
I have 2.0 and the main trouble and expense is the motors, drive, osc, wheel brush, I dont think baldor motor/gearboxes are good as they should be!!!!
I agree. My biggest headache is the osc. motors and the wheel scrub motors - both baldor.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Got two WW 1.0. Bought the carwash with one and found another WW on Ebay and put it in a SS bay. By far the easiest machines to repair. Proipietary stuff sucks but minimal. After closely looking at over 20 manufactures of touch free I still believe WW is the best on the market.

You have owners out there looking for old WW 1.0. Will spend $10-$12 grand on it, add a wheel scrubber and basically have a brand new unit for another 200,000 cars

Reaction score
If I buy another one it would be with stand alone dryers! I think the added weight is too much for the wheels, they sure wear out fast!!!!

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the center ocillating dryer motor? Or just pointed it in one direction and left it.
Just replaced one last week. It was hard to find online but I found it. It worked and it wasn't that hard of a job. I wanted to buy a second as a spare part but the guy said they were not coming in until July. However, it just arrived. I will check to see if he has more than one. Roughly $100 with shipping.