What's new

High Pressure Hose

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't attempt to repair a rusted or crumbling steel-braided hose either, but I've made hundreds of repairs on all sorts of hose and never had issues.

I use a grinder with a metal cutoff wheel to cut steel braided hose, zips right through it. The cheap thinner ones from Harbor Freight actually work better.

soapy

Reaction score
I must be in the minority. All my HP hose is 1/2 inch out to the boom and then reduced to 3/8 or 1/4 inch boom hose. I use reusable fitting from parker all the time. They are a little difficult to install but not all that bad. For the guy wonder about foamy brush hose kinking all the time, try this. I use about a 12 inch piece of clear reinforced poly hose in place of the bend restrictors that come with the hoses. It slips over the swivel tight and works much better. Just get a poly hose that will slip over the straight end of the coiled hose.

mac

Reaction score
As many of you have noted, reusable fittings aren't a cure all. The fittings have to be matched to the hose. There are different ones for one wire and two wire hose. And yes if the hose outer jacket is dry rotted they won't hold. But then you should replace the hose. I've maybe just been lucky. It takes me about 8 minutes to cut a hose and put the end on with regular wrenches. The 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" are relatively easy. The 3/4" ones can be a real mother fooker, but are doable. And I guess we know who didn't spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I actually started to just throw away my hoses when they start to leak. I just rerun the line.... it probably takes less time also? I also switched to cheap Simpson hp hose from Amazon.

So my recommendation would be to try some crappy hp hose from Amazon? :) I paid < $1 a foot ($48.79) with free delivery and it came with quick release fittings. Now it looks like the hose cost $80.... LINK (I have used it for over 3 years now.)

I use to use reusable fittings I purchased from KR. I believe pretty much every repair is annoying to fix? :) The only problem with reusable fittings is they do not seem to be reusable.... they seem to rust. My problem with crimp fittings are they cost about the same and you need a crimper?

Alot of people are using 3/8 stainless tube. Well worth it. Comparing cost its a couple bucks more a foot but haven't had to replace a hose in that area for years now because of it.
I have talked to my fair share of owners. I have only talked to one operator with ss installed. The price of ss tubing is cheap.... but someone has to weld it. Welding tube I believe is more of an art then how I weld at least. :)

But I do use ss tubing.... it is hanging out of my boom.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have only talked to one operator with ss installed. The price of ss tubing is cheap.... but someone has to weld it. Welding tube I believe is more of an art then how I weld at least. :)
Why would you need to weld it?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Why would you need to weld it?
When I was pricing it out it was cheaper to get it welded then to get it threaded. It also seemed threading weakened the tube. It seemed you would need thicker ss when going the threading route.... where welding you would not. Another problem was nothing is rated so you would need to guess or get an engineer to get the correct size ss for your project.

Eric, what is the purpose of the tubing hanging out of the boom?
My booms are just open at the end.... I guess I could have welded an elbow for support instead? But at the time I could not weld ss. (I still might not be able to do it. :) )

MEP001

Reaction score
That's SS welded pipe, not tubing. Tubing is very light and has to be joined either with compression fittings or a flaring tool and fittings.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My booms are just open at the end.... I guess I could have welded an elbow for support instead? But at the time I could not weld ss. (I still might not be able to do it. :) )
I still don't understand what it is for :confused: Is it back in the boom where it can't be seen, or is it exposed and hanging vertical? My booms are open at the end and I don't have anything like that.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I still don't understand what it is for :confused: Is it back in the boom where it can't be seen, or is it exposed and hanging vertical? My booms are open at the end and I don't have anything like that.
The hose and ss pipe runs horizonal in the boom and the vertical hp gun hose attaches to the elbow. My hp hose would wear at that location.... the ss pipe fixes that problem.

Some booms have a ss spacer and an elbow at that point to attach the hp hose.

mrfixit

Reaction score
I used the clean stream thermoplastic hose in 3/8. With stainless couplers. It's light weight non absorbent and absorbs some of the pump pulse. I don't like the soap absorption of the rubber after a number of years. My 15yr old lines were stiff as a board and the vibrations carried through it. There was even soap permeated into the steel braid.

Not only is the Kleen stream hose ultra smooth inside but my theory is.. In a northern climate.. The steel absorbs the cold and freezes the line faster because of it.

The hose isn't as abrasion resistant but it's fairly cheap. Just have to protect the rub points to make sure. I was able to use the pre-made sections for my 3 bays. I'll just replace the bad section if needed, it's only like 25.00 for a 50ft section!

These hoses are excellent for the wand hose. Very light and been holding up very well the last year!

MEP001

Reaction score
Where do you find "Kleen Stream" hose?

mrfixit

Reaction score
It is called Clean Stream... I got it from dultmier. I also spoke with the company and like their operations. The stuff is manufactured in America!! They have complete quality control.

Boom hose sizes-
https://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/11675

Here's the full listing, 25-100ft pre-made.
https://www.dultmeier.com/prod-search.php

You can get a roll and there's a certain end to be crimped on if you want 4000psi. But I think you could use another and be good to 2000 possibly. Dultmier gave me an idea what ends I could use don't remember. I just went pre-made.

When I said it's not as abrasion resistant, I may have mis-spoke. When like rubbing along surfaces it's glides over. But if you have it laying on an edge near the pump end and vibrating it will wear through it easier without having the two braids to protect the inner tube.

Last edited:

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
It is called Clean Stream... I got it from dultmier. I also spoke with the company and like their operations. The stuff is manufactured in America!!
Looks like you can also purchase a lot of their products from Amazon?
http://amzn.to/29rKfdK

I assume the company name is Schieffer.... I will need to try them out their hose seems very reasonable on Amazon especially if it is made in the USA.... the stuff I was purchasing I doubt was made in the US. :)

JamboWash

Reaction score
Looks like you can also purchase a lot of their products from Amazon?
http://amzn.to/29rKfdK

I assume the company name is Schieffer.... I will need to try them out their hose seems very reasonable on Amazon especially if it is made in the USA.... the stuff I was purchasing I doubt was made in the US. :)
The company recommend not to use the thermoplastic with hot water , what water runs thru your pipes hot or cold .. their product catalog is as below http://www.schieffer-group.com/fileadmin/Dateien/PDF/ProPulse/ProPulse_Now_Catalog_2015.pdf

mrfixit

Reaction score
The hose I got from dultmier linked above is rated 4000 psi at 140°. It's designed for car wash use.

My bays typically run between 90-120°. Now my temp may spike to 140 if there's a problem but it can handle 4000psi at that temp and I'm only at 1200psi so it should be fine if it spikes I think. No problems the last year, and I know my water gets to 130 at times.

Ymmv, for me I feel it's good enough for overhead, definitely the best option I've used for a wand drop.

The company is a division of shieffer called propulse
http://www.powermovingforward.com/car-clean-1.html

Last edited:

JamboWash

Reaction score
The hose I got from dultmier linked above is rated 4000 psi at 140°. It's designed for car wash use.

My bays typically run between 90-120°. Now my temp may spike to 140 if there's a problem but it can handle 4000psi at that temp and I'm only at 1200psi so it should be fine if it spikes I think. No problems the last year, and I know my water gets to 130 at times.

Ymmv, for me I feel it's good enough for overhead, definitely the best option I've used for a wand drop.

The company is a division of shieffer called propulse
http://www.powermovingforward.com/car-clean-1.html
Where did you buy a 50ft section for $25 ,I don't see it on their website..

JamboWash

Reaction score

mrfixit

Reaction score
Just the color, a few dollars more for blue. I have the black above, and blue for the wand drops... As long as you ensure there's no rub points on the pump stand and going into the attic you should be good.

Using these premades worked for me, I was able to use 1 or combine 2 and be about the right length for my bays, had one bay with about 2 ft extra that I left one gentle loop in the trough.

I just tape measured the lines from pump to boom before I ordered. The sizes worked out good for me, it may not for someone else